“A pleasant experience...something different instead of going to chain restaurant”

Croaker's Spot Restaurants
Ranked #43 of 1,602 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Virginia
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Food: excellent soul seafood except the potatoes was a little bit salty for my low sodium diet! Otherwise, everything was great.
Setting of the restaurant: The outside neighborhood may be a little bit "drab" but I like the ambiance of the restaurant. Because of the seats...it seems so private despite the crowded restaurant. It is also decorated with items that open discussions especially about the African-American heritage. My husband is Italian in descent while I'm Asian...we enjoyed the place.
Service: All the workers in the restaurant were friendly. Despite the busy crowd...the workers appear to enjoy doing what they were doing. They also accommodate our request of changing the channel of their TV.
Overall...I highly recommend this restaurant for the food and for the experience!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“service is never too great whenever I go. it's not a great place to go for a large group”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Austin, Texas
“Worth the wait in line. If solo, I sit at the bar. Catfish, sweetea, and grits? It would be worth walking to.”
Reviewed December 6, 2008

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I had intended to take Lee to Croaker's Spot when I discovered it on touring Jackson Ward in September, 2006 with...”
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I had intended to take Lee to Croaker's Spot when I discovered it on touring Jackson Ward in September, 2006 with Christian. In December of that year, Lee and I did stop in here, but only for some sweet tea. The chance to take a full meal here finally presented itself when Paul Negrin and I attended a meeting of the Richmond City Republican party in February, 2007. The walls are decorated with sepia-toned photographs of Jackson Ward's heyday. Half of the restaurant faces Second Street and is filled with round tables covered with white tablecloths. In the other half, the cook works diner-style in a tiny square kitchen up by the windows. An art deco bar fills up the space, along with cosy booths. There is also a tiny little cobblestone patio out back, but we dared not meet out there in the middle of winter. On portions, you really get bang for your buck. Full meals run between $10-20, but the portions almost had me asking for takeaway. There's not much floor space: just a few booths and a long wait to get in at the weekend. They do takeaway, but ring ahead with your order. The surrounding neighbourhoood may seem dodgy, but it is safer than it looks. Croaker's Spot will no doubt play a big part in the long overdue revitalisation of Jackson Ward.

I had the fried lake trout with sauteed green peppers and Vidalia onions, potatoes and corn bread, washed down with sweet iced tea. The fried catfish was good. It had bones, but it was nowhere near as bony as the shad I had at the most recent shad planking. The potatoes were all right if a little bland. The pepper and onion medley would have been perfect all by itself, but I wasn't keen on the spicy orange coloured sauce that looked like an Americanised version of French dressing. The cornbread was so sweet, I wasn't sure whether I was eating cornbread or pound cake. However, the sweet tea was great. The Republican committee had the same thing served to everyone. Next time, when I'm taking Lee, Paul, or an out-of-town VT friend there, we can choose what we want from the menu and probably come away with a better outlook.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great southern food, great prices.”
Reviewed June 6, 2008

Great southern food, great prices.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Croaker's Spot Restaurants? Share your experiences!