“BEST HIBACHI IN RICHMOND!”
Review of Kanpai Japanese Steakhouse - CLOSED

Kanpai Japanese Steakhouse
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This place was AMAZING! I love hibachi restaurants and have been to them all in this area but this place beats them hands down in terms of taste, portions and price! The taste is much better and even seems healthier, as he doesn't pour loads of soy sauce and salt on the food. Also, the portions seem to be a good ounce or two more than what other restaurants serve. What's more, the prices are much cheaper than the other restaurants ive been to! Where most restaurants only have combinations of 2 choices and require you to have an expensive side order of a third, he has the combinations for 3, what's more, he doesn't charge extra for fried rice like some other restaurants do! The only thing I would mark down is that the service isn't as great as the other restaurants but the food and prices more than make up for that!!!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

When we first entered the location we noticed a musky smell. Not pleasant. There were zero other customers at 6 pm Friday night. Our experience was so awful in every way we and the other group at our table walked out.
Our shrimp were burned after our cook left to seat another group in the middle of cooking our food then our rice was burned when the cook left AGAIN to yell at another younger employee in a disgusting apron serving drinks to another newly arrived table.
After the other two seated groups that arrived in the middle of all this happening saw the situation they walked out as well. Both me and the lady with two children at my table asked for the owner which the cook stated he was. We then tried to get a bill for drinks, since we did all drink them but the cook/owner refused saying over and over 'I re-cook for you'. Finally we gave up and just left.

BY FAR THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD IN ANY FOOD ESTABLISHMENT EVER.

The entire restaurant walked out together! It appeared there were only these two employees trying to run this restaurant. That would be difficult regardless but at a Habachi restaurant it is impossible.

The next day my husband took me to Kabuto and I was reminded what the Japanese Habachi Steakhouse experience should be.

1  Thank VeronikaMD
Reviewed July 14, 2012

First off let me start by saying that my wife and I love Japanese food. We have enjoyed many great meals in the area but definitely not from here. We went with the kids today around 5:30 for dinner. We were the only people there. Another couple came with their kids and sat at the table across from US. We shared the same cook who cooked their food with his back to them. Luckily they did not miss anything. All this chef did was beat his utensils on the table and mumble. No interaction with the crowd, no eye contact, no enthusiasm for his job. Japanese steakhouse are suppose to be a fun dining experience. The prices are way over budget. $30 for steak and shrimp??? Come on get real. I have no problem paying that if I get everything that is supposed to come with it; which includes a good waitress and an entertaining cook. The food was tasteless and carelessly cooked. Burnt chicken and raw vegetables on a bed of corn impregnated rice is not worth $25. The restaurant is old and outdated. The ceiling wants to fall down but the
Grease is holding it together. This place is a total let down and should consider closing its doors. If you want a truly great Japanese dining experience try yamatos on hull street.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

no entertainment during the preparation of the food, was accosted about the amount of tip. the manager screamed and yelled at waitress, food was good. Please stay away from this place, the service is horrible, food is overpriced and my young daughter left the restaurant asking me if the treatment of the waitress is normal.stay away from this restaurant. Also you expect to hear Japanese music , but i had to listen to ghetto rap music while i ate my meal with my family, needless to say the music was very offensive in nature. please stay away from this restaurant.
times are too hard to waste your hard earned money.

3  Thank Brian J
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Service was horrible, food was actually good. The owner tried to over charge us. He came into the parking lot and confronted our party about a drink that was incorrectly made. He called my daughter a liar. We paid for a drink that we did not drink. Unbelieveable... This was a mothers day dinner and birthday celebration, he ruined it. Awful.... The appearance is nasty and old.

2  Thank Cathy W