“wow, and not in a good way.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Thai Diner

Thai Diner
Ranked #235 of 1,602 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
USA
“wow, and not in a good way.”
Reviewed December 27, 2010

my friends and i came here for a dinner get together. when we got there, there was only one other table of people, but more diners started to come in steadily. there was only one waitress working (along with her son that couldn't have been more than 12 years old). we ordered our drinks and entrees at the same time, but our drinks arrived AFTER our food. our water and our food was served to us by the 12 year old. our drinks arrived about 5 minutes after our food. the food itself was okay. i ordered pad thai with chicken with a medium spice as the waitress said the peppers in season were really hot--i have eaten saltine crackers with more spice than the pad thai. i wanted to ask for some crushed red peppers to sprinkle on it to spice it up a bit but the waitress was nowhere to be found and did not check on us once during our meal, except once as she running to the next table she shouted over in passing "you doing alright?"--i was already almost finished with my meal so it was pointless to ask for peppers at this point. also the paid thai was fairly oily. my friend ordered drunken noodles and i tried a bite and they had a great kick to them. the 12 year old brought us our check before we were even asked if we'd like another drink or dessert or anything. we were charged $1 more than listed on the menu for our drinks. when i told the waitress this, she said it was because they were out of house rum and used bacardi--that is not my fault and i felt i shouldn't have to pay more because they were out of something. she took the dollar off each of our drinks but acted like she was doing us a favor. i don't know who the owners are of this place, but it is unacceptable to have one waitress on staff to handle orders, delivering of food and drinks, and play cashier. at one point, i even witnessed the 12 year old running credit cards through!! totally unacceptable to have a kid delivering food to tables and running credit cards! i won't be dining here again--the service was terrible and my food was bland, not to mention the use of unlawful child labor. i will stick to paid thai in mechanicsville.

1 Thank canadianchick18

Pennsylvania
“Delightfully flavorful, spicy, and fresh”
Reviewed December 30, 2009

We were warmly and promptly greeted by the hostess. Our service was very quick, and our waitress was knowledgeable and attentive throughout the meal. The portions of the entrees were large, and we could not finish them. The quality of the food, attributed to the freshness of the ingredients and its careful preparation, was quite superb. The homemade peanut sauce had a very nice texture and flavor. I had Tom Yum Goong soup, which had shrimp and mushrooms. Though I ordered it medium, it was actually too spicy for me. I found out later that this was due to the peppers that they had just received which can vary, so be sure to ask how hot the peppers are when deciding on the level of spiciness. Other than being too hot, it was very flavorful. My wife ordered the Seafood Satay appetizer, shrimp and scallops served with peanut sauce. For my main entrée, I ordered the Amazing Thai, which consisted of tofu, vegetables, and peanut sauce. They don’t serve a lot of rice with the entrees, but our waitress gladly brought more rice when asked, at no extra charge. My wife ordered the Pad Ped Pha, which consisted of Country Curry, tofu, and vegetables. For dessert, I ordered Sweet Rice and Custard, and Thai iced coffee. My wife ordered Sweet Rice with Mango.

The entrees were $9.95 each, dessert was $4.50 each, soup was $3.50, appetizer was $3.00.

If you enjoy spicy Thai food made with fresh ingredients, then I highly recommend this place for you.

Dallas, Texas
“Good Thai food!”
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Good Thai food!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“This place rocks”
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Awesome food. I usually get the drunken noodles or the spicy noodle soup. A++

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Thai Diner is my favorite Thai food. This location is better staffed than the Carytown location, but the food is the...”
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Thai Diner is my favorite Thai food. This location is better staffed than the Carytown location, but the food is the same.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook