“Great Pad Thai”

Cuisines: American, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I can only comment on the Pad Thai because it is so delicious that it ends up being what I order almost every time a go. This restaurant has consistently good food.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband and I have been going to Thai Diner fairly regularly since shortly after we met (ahem, 17 years ago?). My first experience with Thai food was here, and while I've had Thai at other restaurants since, Thai Diner continues to be my favorite!

Don't get me wrong, this is not a fine dining experience--the restaurant is situated in an old strip mall, and the decor is sort of strange, but what we go for is the food. I've tried a number of dishes here over the years, from Pad Thai to drunken noodles to several of the stir fries. My favorite is the Pad Prik Thai Diner, medium heat, with chicken--and no mushrooms, and sometimes with extra veggies. The wait staff and kitchen are happy to comply with those requests, and they'll even split the difference between levels of spiciness if you ask them to. I am also a huge fan of their fried spring rolls, which are addictive. If you're in the mood for dessert, the sweet rice with mango is not to be missed. Lunch portions are smaller than dinner (cheaper as well), but the dinner portions are typically large enough that I have leftovers for lunch the next day.

We have always received friendly, attentive service here, and because we've been coming to this restaurant for so long, we know the owner and we chat with him on most every visit. If you're in the Richmond area and you're in the mood for Thai, this is the place to go!

1  Thank luv2cats72
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

The thing about this restaurant is it is basically a "hole in the wall". On the outside, it doesn't look super elegant. But, I'm telling you...it is incredible. I ordered the Pad Prik Poa. The chili paste is homemade. And when you order Thai Hot, it's almost hot enough. Fantastic!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I love Thai food and I stopped in for lunch. It was early so I was the only customer. I ordered the papaya salad. It came served on iceberg lettuce accompanied with overcooked chicken the texture of shoe leather. I could not even eat the chicken it was sooooo overcooked.

Never again.

Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

This is one if those "hole in the wall" places that pleasantly surprised us. Server kept a smile, food was very good. Portions were small but I assume it's because it was a lunch menu. Pleasant, above average experience overall. Improvements could be made to decor.