“Great Service and Spicy food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Virginia
“Great Service and Spicy food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Well if you are looking for spicy dumplings this is the place. Super hot.. The food was average as far as Chinese goes. The folks were very nice and were very accommodating. We just did appetizers for that small plate effect.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Richmond, Virginia
“If only the service matched the food...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I made reservations to enjoy Mandarin Palace with friends to celebrate the Chinese New Year. The food was really good and really fresh but I doubt we will return. The owner came to the table with our receipts after we paid and explained that they were all leaving now to go home and have dinner with their family. Read: Get the heck out of our restaurant. It was not quite 8:30 on a Saturday night. Their posted hours proclaimed that they were open until 10:30. There was no sign nor verbal indication that the evening we were there would be any different. The rudeness surprised all four of us and spoiled what otherwise would have been a delightful meal.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jk67
Richmond, Virginia
“True retro interior with fresh ingredients”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Mandarin Palace had me curious for a long time with its vintage neon sign above the door in an old shopping center. Frankly, I dismissed it, thinking the sign was probably the most interesting feature on a tired, old restaurant. It was recommended by a friend, however, and I've now enjoyed three superb meals there.
Walking through the doorway took me back to my childhood, with its interior of old-school "Oriental" decor in red, gold & black. I recalled vague memories from early childhood at Ying's in Norfolk with my parents. Old school can be comforting, and gracious, too, with cloth napkins & tablecloths which you will find at Mandarin Palace. There are no exterior windows, so the outside world does not intrude on the fantasy.
Fine, so far, but what about the food? On my first visit I went for traditional, to match the decor: eggroll, and Kung Pao Chicken. All were excellent & freshly prepared. Next visit I tried something off their low-carb menu: steamed chicken & vegetables, with choice of sauce on the side. I asked what sort of vegetables, and the waitress replied that it depended on what looked fresh - the owner refused stuff that wasn't up to standards. I was pleased & surprised with the variety presented which included broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, squash, snow peas, and asparagus. Right on target, and the life wasn't steamed out of anything. They also offer a substantial gluten-free menu!
According to the owner (Christina, very friendly), the Mandarin Palace has been there for 40+ years, but under new ownership only a few. I hope they leave the decor as it is. Where else can you find excellent, fresh food while seated next to red-flocked wallpaper? This place is really a little pearl in an unassuming shell.

• Visited August 2012
Newbury Park, California
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I went because of other reviews. I was not as happy as other people. The Lo Mein was super salty. I also had what the call "sticky buns" well there not they have the same covering as a steam dumpling does. People were nice, I just would not go out of my way to go there again.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Columbus, Ohio
“Best Lo Mein ever!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have to admit, we were leary of trying something new. Chinese can be so iffy... However, we went here after river kayaking and the food was excellent! We had Kung Pao chix and Lo Mein noodles and Garlic chix and all three were excellent flavor. The lo mein was served in a brown, soy sauce, which was perfect. SOme places serve very bland, squishy lo mein, but these noodles were just tender enough and nice and salty.

• Visited May 2012