“Great Litttle Place!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great Litttle Place!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went during Richmond's Restaurant Week and had a great meal! the Gratin was beyond words! Haven't had a chance to make it back to tastebuds but I will in the near future!

• Visited September 2012

“What a brunch!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I often judge my meal by whether or not I would get the exact same thing the next time and the answer at Tastebuds is “absolutely.” At brunch, I enjoyed the ‘Chorizo Cakes with Fried Eggs, Warm Black Bean Salsa, Roasted Tomato Coulis, Mixed Greens’ and my dining partner had ‘Crispy Pork Adobo over Root Vegetable Hash, Served with a Fried Egg & Avocado Crema.’ Both were well presented, generous portions, and combinations that are unique and tasteful. We also had a bloody mary, which was perfectly blended with tomatoes, spice, and alcohol, and a cup of Blanchard’s coffee that was strong, flavorful and plentiful and a reason alone that I would return (as I mentioned to the server). Speaking of the server, he was professional, unobtrusive, had a good sense of humor, and provided as good service as any place I have been. The restaurant is small and tastefully decorated. I now have my eye on the ‘Cuban Sandwich with Sautéed Country Ham, Provolone, Pickle, Mustard on Ciabatta Roll, served with Root Vegetable Hash’ that was my second choice, having been spoilt for choice. I have also been to Tastebuds for dinner and had a wonderful meal and experience but it is not fresh enough in my mind to write a meaningful review. Well done Tastebuds!

• Visited February 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Shaky beginning but ended up well.”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Made reservations at this restaurant (which has changed its name to Tastebuds American Bistro). When we arrived the place was basically empty. I remarked that I probably hadn't needed to make a reservation, seeing the empty tables, and you could see the hostess bristle. With a bit of a defensive attitude she said most of the tables were reserved. What did I know!? The table we were offered was almost on top of the one beside us, so I casually moved it a few inches away for privacy. The same hostess came and reprimanded me for doing so. Not a great start. HOWEVER, the meal was sensational. We all got the chicken marsala and, while very tasty, the marsala sauce probably could have been a little thicker. Not complaining, mind you. The portion was plenty for a "normal" appetite. We all had a glass of wine, excellent! The accompanying salad was perfectly prepared and very fresh. The dessert was a special hazelnut torte, very good, and the carrot cake was huge and delicious. Our waiter was very accommodating and we stayed for over two hours chatting, not feeling rushed in any way. Perhaps the only negative was the acoustics. It got quite loud at times.

This was my second visit to this neighborhood gathering place, the first being several years ago. Many of the people are apparently regulars and live in the neighborhood. For a Thursday evening, they had a full house! Average cost of our meal with drinks and coffee was around $30, give or take a dollar or two. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and will dine there again...and keep my mouth shut when entering.

• Visited January 2013
“Never disappoints”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

In a few words...great service, lovely neighborhood atmosphere, superb food. They never hurry you...you dine; you don't just eat! The owners are gracious. One of them always comes to your table to make sure you are having a good evening. As you leave, someone always wishes you a good night. Do not miss this restaurant.

“Don't miss this!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I have dinner here with friends about four or five times a year. It is always a treat, a limited but good wine list, food meant to be savored and the best of atmospheres. This is where you want to go for a wonderful intimate dinner with family and\or friends where you can take your time and visit with each other. Don't miss an opportunity to dine here....really don't miss it.