“Relies alot on nostalgia” 3 of 5 bubbles

Nick's Roman Terrace
Ranked #355 of 1,594 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian, Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Relies alot on nostalgia”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I recently visited Nick's for a life celebration with family to remember a family member who had recently passed away. This was one of her favorite restaurants, so it seemed fitting to have it there. We had a large table reserved in the back room which was nice so that we could have some privacy. However, I was somewhat disappointed when they started seating others in the back room around us when there appeared to be adequate room in the front for normal guests.

The food is average - it's not bad, but it's not going to win any awards. Alot of "Italian" and Greek food - I think the best part of the meal was the large rolls. I had baked spaghetti - it was ok, again - nothing to write home about.

I believe that most people who go here have been going for years - and it's more about the memories than having the best meal around.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank StevenVA

Richmond, Virginia, USA
“Greek folks making Italian food poorly and Greek food only slightly better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I went back here grudgingly with friends after having been twice before about and being very underwhelmed (once around 07 and once around 09). The third time was not the charm. This place is run by a very nice family with an attentive old school touch, however, the food they serve is low grade diner type Americanized Italian. Low on flavor, high in salt and overlooked. What they pass of as Italian bread is wonder shaped and formed for a breadbasket.

Long story short, if you you want Greek go to Greek for You. If you want good fast Italian go to Roma's

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank PaoloStatiUniti
“Old Style with great food..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

If you just want great food without modern atmospher then Nicks is the place for you. I felt like with the decor we had stepped back into time. The food though, was ahead of it's time. Great dinner rolls, they infamous. Greeked up salad to die for. My lasagna and sauce were savory, tastsy and delicous!! Looking for some old style, good Italian food then Nicks is the place. Oh and the service was outstanding!! Great job Nicks'!!! The price could not be beat..I was so happy here.

• Visited November 2012
Virginia
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our 1st visit and it was a hit!!!! I had Greek spaghetti with salmon and my husband had veal parm. Both were outstanding!

• Visited October 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Relax & let your belt out a notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Let's face it; we can all eat at home or grab something prepared from a grocery store these days. A big part of dining out is the experience with friends & family. While fine dining is wonderful, most of us can't afford a steady diet of it. It's nice to have a moderately-priced restaurant meal with friends & good conversation.
As my profile indicates, I give ratings within the context of the restaurant. Nick's does not have the nicest decor or the best-ever food. I give Nick's five stars because our party felt welcome from the moment we walked in the door, the server was friendly & prompt, the food was delicious without being precious, the portions were generous, and we felt free to relax & converse with one another.
We started with calamari which was tender, and rolls that were warm, homemade & enormous. The menu spans a few pages, and everyone found something appealing. My Spaghetti a la Nicco could not be vanquished, so I carried most of it home and it will make a hearty lunch at the office. Midway through our meal, the owner made an appearance to make sure we were pleased. We ate our fill and had a great time.
The decor is exuberant, as other reviewers have mentioned, and while it may have started out seriously enough, I suspect by now that the owners know it's pretty tacky and are having fun with it. And dining out with friends should always be fun.

• Visited October 2012