“Cozy and Quaint Environment But Food Barely Warm”
Review of The Hill Cafe

The Hill Cafe
Ranked #117 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Cozy and Quaint Environment But Food Barely Warm”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I were there on a Saturday afternoon and the quarters were tight but we were able to be seated quickly. We both ordered a turkey dish; one with mashed potatoes and spinach sides and the other with macaroni and cheese with green beans. The wait for our food was reasonable. The servers were pleasant and responsive. When our food arrived it looked delicious. The turkey was a large chunk of white breast meat and the sides were each modest scoops of either mashed redskin potato and macaroni & cheese. The spinach and green beans looked fresh. The taste of the food was actually good BUT it was all room temperature and not hot. Very disappointing. It gave the impression of sitting around for a while. Although the quality of the food was there, it seemed to just not be freshly put on the plate. The macaroni and cheese was clumpy and cold and the same for the mashed potatoes. The spinach was cold and green beans too. We may try The Hill Cafe again in the future but not anytime soon. (Both dinners were $9.95).

• Visited July 2013

“Cozy quality”
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

The Hill is a small, quaint, local restaurant with a little flare and class mixed together. The food is good and pretty much anyone can find something they like here (not overly vegetarian friendly, but it can be done!). The prices are solid, the decor is cute and the staff is friendly. It's not fine dining, it's more of a neighborhood restaurant with higher quality food than typically found in those places. I can get a little loud since it is small and there is a bar section, but it's half the fun of being in a neighborhood joint! I would definetly suggest people visit this spot!

Visited May 2013
Knoxville
“Good food, reasonable price”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Small, cozy atmosphere. Menu selection is broad enough for entire family. Seafood was fresh but desserts were not our favorite.

Visited June 2013
“Love we can walk here”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Hill Cafe is within walking distance to our house. So we love that experience of walking to a great place for dinner. We have had brunch, lunch, and dinner here. They have a few standouts for us-the Hill chips are there homemade potato chips with a yummy dip. We often get the black bean burger-haven't found anywhere else that compares to theirs. I love the roasted red pepper, asparagus risotto in cheddar sauce, what a treat or their crab cake sandwich-which is mostly all crab! The hubby often gets the roasted pork and rice; the blackened ribeye-very, very tasty; or one of the specials. Service is always good, while you have "a" waitress, all the waitresses help in filling glasses, clearing plates, serving etc. You rarely need to ask for something.

• Visited June 2013
Richmond, VA
“Brunch and Beers”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I went to the Hill yesterday for a late brunch and some brews with my wife and another couple.

Vibe:
I really like the feel of this place. It feels classy but it also has a friendly pub vibe as well. Granite bar counter with a nice Wood liquor/wine shelf set up behind the bar with a dark finish. Other patrons were just eating and hanging out, diverse crowd, one family young folks and old folks.

Food:
Food was very good. I got a very simple egg dish which consisted of 2 fried eggs over hard, hash browns, bacon and a biscuit. Everything came out perfectly, bacon was real bacon and very crispy, thick with lots of flavor. Hashbrowns were very simple, no veggies, basically cubed french fries.

Service:
Service was good. This is a small place and it was a busy Sunday so the bar service wasn't spectacularly quick by any means but it was efficient. I ordered two beers and the wife got a mimosa. The beers were priced very well considering the quality of the beer. I got a Brooklyn Pennant and an Allagash White. Beer was pour properly with 1/2 inch head.

Overall:
I will be back and I suggest that you go as well. I was impressed with the beer pricing and the very affordable dishes on the brunch menu

• Visited June 2013