“Neat Location, but Average Food”
Review of The Hill Cafe

The Hill Cafe
Ranked #113 of 1,623 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This restaurant is located in the Church Hill neighborhood and has a wonderful local feel, with a small bar area and a quaint set of booths for a meal. While the atmosphere was pleasant (it felt a bit like a neighborhood hangout), our service was slow and the food was fairly standard. We went on a Saturday night, and were seated immediately, but it took about 10 minutes for anyone to greet us or take our drink orders. When we were served, it felt as though things were a little disorganized. When our food arrived, it was hot, but the dishes were fairly standard, without any standout tastes. Overall, we enjoyed the atmosphere, but felt as though something was lacking. I would definitely try this place again, however if you are looking for a unique menu, this is not where to look.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

A friend of mine just moved into a loft apartment a few blocks up from the Hill Cafe, so we strolled to the restaurant yesterday. We were all hungry, since the only thing in our friend's pantry was a bag of popcorn, and she scorched it in the microwave minutes before we arrived.
The Hill Cafe is popular, and I get it - folks like to have a neighborhood place to gather. If you're only here to drink, it's probably as good a choice as any. i have to say, the service was very friendly.
But this was not my first visit, and once again i left unimpressed. I ordered the Redneck Benedict, and I can tell you that no self-respecting redneck would be satisfied with two small sausage patties perched on freezer-to-oven biscuits. The poached eggs were prepared with an adroit hand, though. The potatoes were good, but there's a cook in that kitchen who is a portion-control nazi. For the money, it was not a good value.
I like a slightly gritty hangout as well as the next guy, but when my coffee arrived in a mug smeared with lipstick, the cafe lost its charm. The restaurant clearly has a loyal following, but I think that a few competitors around the corner would spur some speedy improvements.

1  Thank Bill H
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I went to the Hill Cafe in Churchill after a day of shopping and finding other restaurants had a 45 minute wait. We were seated within 5 minutes (don't let the folks standing by the door fool you-it is worth going in to check on the wait time). They had a good selection of wines by the glass and a full beautiful bar. This is a small restaurant and they pay a lot of attention to their customers. We had wonderful service. We both had the Caesar salad which was very large and full of parmesan and fresh croutons- yummy! I had the crab cake appetizer and a side of asparagus which were perfect. This was enough food for sure. I even brought some home. My husband had the meatloaf- it actually looked like a grilled steak and was delicious. The best I have ever had. His meal was also large and he brought home 1/2 as well. We shared the bourbon pecan pie for dessert. Again- absolutely delicious. We couldn't find one little thing to say that is not positive about the Hill Cafe. It is definitely worth a visit! We will be back. :) You can check out their menu and hours here http://www.thehillcafe.com/index.asp

Reviewed November 3, 2012

this was the only place I really liked in Richmond.. The food in this city is BLEH!! BUt I really did enjoy this place I ordered crabs and it was great!! I had a amazing waitress and a very cozy setting I highly recommend.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a neighborhood gem -- great service, good food, good prices. The Chapel Hill area is a great neighborhood for a Sunday morning stroll, too.