“Consistently Excellent”
Review of The Hard Shell

The Hard Shell
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hard Shell is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 1,640 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th St
Description: Opening its doors in 1995 in downtown Richmond, Virginia’s Shockoe Slip, The Hard Shell has created a loyal following and has been repeatedly voted “BEST SEAFOOD” in the city by Style Magazine and Richmond Magazine.The Hard Shell strives to offer the highest quality seafood, steaks and more in a warm, inviting and relaxing atmosphere and to provide outstanding customer service to each and every customer.
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I travel through Richmond every summer and always make a point to eat here. The chef has a very light hand with interesting herbs and spices; his/her sauces are superb. The wait staff are always very accommodating and the whole atmosphere is congenial. Because I usually travel with my dog, they allow to me tether her outside the patio fence next to my table, which I deeply appreciate. The crab cakes and fried oysters are especially good, as are the several different remoulade sauces. The portions are not exactly generous but perhaps that's because the food is so good I always wish there were more of it!

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I travel to Richmond every other year. Discovered this restaurant 6 years ago, enjoy it every time.

Service is spot on, present but not conspicuous, the food very good with a huge menu selection.

I think their crabcakes are amongst the best I've ever eaten, get them every time there.

2  Thank Nineunder
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I wrote the "Disappointed Customer Review" and I want to say that the partial owner made his way to look up my reservation and give me a call. He shared his apologizes and told me that he looked at the tape and couldn't believe what happened that night but he said he had a meeting with the employees that were there that night to tell them they should have done better. He also sent me a gift card to come back and also to try another restaurant that he owns in the area. I was impressed by they way he handled it and my experience with the staff was much better. The food was delicious as well.

2  Thank K P
Reviewed July 29, 2014

A friend and I were traveling in Richmond and I remembered reading in the Virginia Magazine that The Hard Shell was the best seafood restaurant in Richmond. So we went. Ceaser Salad was the best. I had a delicious fresh crab cocktail with spicy sauce. My friend had the she crab soup. We both ordered one of the specials, I got the prime rib and my friend got the prime rib and crab cake. The prime rib was uninspiring. Should have only ordered seafood. The crab cake was fantastic, little filler and a lot of tasty crab. Our own fault. Best seafood restaurant for seafood, not beef. We won't make that mistake again when we return, which we will. By the way, the server was efficient without being annoying. Great staff. Try it, you'll like it!!!

1  Thank Laurance
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

The food here is good but nothing special. Crab cakes were much too salty. The server was much more friendly with the two gentlemen at the next table than my wife and I. We were dressed casually as we had only arrived in town by car about an hour previous. We had our appetizer in about ten minutes. Our main course came almost as soon as we finished the last bite of the aps. We felt very rushed. Would not return.

1  Thank C W

Been to The Hard Shell? Share your experiences!