“Excellent seafood but menu out of date”
Review of The Hard Shell

The Hard Shell
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hard Shell is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th St
Description: Opening its doors in 1995 in downtown Richmond, Virginia’s Shockoe Slip, The Hard Shell has created a loyal following and has been repeatedly voted “BEST SEAFOOD” in the city by Style Magazine and Richmond Magazine.The Hard Shell strives to offer the highest quality seafood, steaks and more in a warm, inviting and relaxing atmosphere and to provide outstanding customer service to each and every customer.
Reviewed February 18, 2014

The food and service were both excellent. The fried oysters, available as either appetizer or entree were fabulous. lightly breaded and cooked just right. The dinner menu and wine though are out of date. Even some of the blackboard items were wrong

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Good choice if you are unable to make it to Can Can Brassiere. The soup was scrumptious and my entree was tasty too. No rolls, crackers with sesame, pepper on them.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Decided to give this place a try upon a recommendation from one of my neighbors. Sure glad we did! I had the steak and eggs, and the steak was cooked perfectly and my wife was happy to see they offered a full raw bar for lunch, she quite enjoyed her lobsters. The server was very attentive and knowledgeable. We enjoyed the casual atmosphere and the parking garage across the street was very convenient.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I had dinner with four coworkers last night at The Hard Shell and, despite the inclement weather, the restaurant was lively. We were referred by the concierge at our hotel, who made a reservation for us, and when we arrived, were promptly greeted by the hostess who had our table ready and took our coats to the coat check. The selection of draft beers was nice, with a lot of local brews, and our waiter was knowlegeable and helpful regarding both the drink and food menus. For dinner, I had the tuna entree seared rare, which was delicious and cooked perfectly. My fellow diners all enjoyed their food as well, and were very happy with the level of service-not too obtrusive, but there when we needed something. We will definitely be back when we return to Richmond.

1  Thank Aaron P
Reviewed January 27, 2014

First off let me state that if there was an rating for a -1 I would have chosen that. The experience and serviced I received was absolutely unacceptable. I called and made reservations for 8pm. I arrived and when I walked in there wasn't anyone at the door. A number of workers looked at me as if they had seen a ghost I am a black female by the way. No one came to me to ask if I needed assistance. 5 minutes later I decided to ask a worker can someone assist me please. He asked did I have a reservation I told him yes and he stated he would clean out a booth and come back to get me. He cleaned the booth and disappeared. As I'm waiting a white couple comes in and within seconds another man comes to them and says do you have reservations and they said yes he said right this way and he sat them at the booth they young man cleaned for me. I went behind them as he sat this couple and said I have now been waiting 10 minutes no one has seated me and this was the table that was cleaned for me. I asked for the manager and her apology was not sincere at all. She said we can sit you over in this corner if you’d like. I sat there just to wait until my date got there while he was looking for a parking space. I sat an observed how fast white couples were coming in the door and being seated within seconds. As my date arrived he can tell I was very upset when he came in. I told he how I was treated and I didn't want him spending his money in this establishment. As we sat there and debated a waiter never came to ask us if we were ready to order or anything. As we were getting up to leave with our coats in hand someone decided to approach us to ask if we needed anything and we said we were leaving. We went to Tobacco Co and had a wonderful dinner. This goes to show never under estimate someone by the color of their skin and think we don't have money to spend because we do. We are well educated successful citizens. I will never patronize this restaurant. I never write reviews but this needed to be told to advise other customers where they are spending their money. Thank you for reading this review.

5  Thank K P

Been to The Hard Shell? Share your experiences!