“Great Date!”
Review of Stella's

Stella's
Reserve with OpenTable
Stella's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I did a search for mid-priced, highly rated restaurants in Richmond and read so many positive reviews, we went full steam ahead.

Stella's is centrally located in a nice Richmond neighborhood. Although we didn't have reservations, we were promptly seated at the communal table, which was centrally located. It was great way to people-watch! Although I read that Stella's has 'no tv's', there was an old movie projecting against a wall, and even without sound, it was very distracting.

The service was good. Our waiter was a bit on the snobby side, but he was attentive without being obtrusive and there were no errors, plus, our water glasses were never empty.

The food was amazing. We started with an appetizer of cheese and figs, later ordering the Cypriot salad and a red/golden beet and kale salad special, and we ended up splitting the artichoke moussaka for an entree. My mouth is watering as I recall how delicious and comforting the food tasted! They carry wines from Greek wineries and the wine the waiter selected for me was a perfect compliment to the creamy appetizer.

I noticed one family with with older, pre-teen kids there, but this is definitely not a family dining kind of joint. Little kids like ours wouldn't have liked it here and, honestly, we would've resented any kids being there. It's a date place and it's lovely.

We'll definitely go back, with a reservation, so we can enjoy a more intimate table for two.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We ate at the bar and received excellent service! It was difficult to choose an entree - everything sounded delicious and all of the dishes served to others in the restaurant looked tasty. We finally settled on the LOUKANIKO SAUSAGE SKILLET and the Village omelette. Both entrees were excellent and the toasted bread was superb. We can't wait to return to this unique space. We'll come for dinner next time!

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I go to Stellas quite often. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is great! I love the Greek salad and crab cakes.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Saturday evening dinner at Stella's was loud, energetic, and delicious.

We were one of four tables celebrating a birthday on the night we were there. It felt like being at a big family dinner. Tables are pretty close together and if it weren't for the noise in general, it would be like everyone eating dinner together (not ideal). Loved that they were open late.

The eggplant dip was so delicious we ordered a second. Dinner was good--skip the greek potatoes though. They were dry and disappointing--especially in contrast to the rest of the great meal. Cocktails were inventive and delicious.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having had a great dinner at Stella's a while back, I thought that I would try them out for lunch. Went with a colleague and arrived a little after 1pm when the lunch crowd was starting to dissipate. My colleague and I were seated pretty quickly by the hostess. Our waiter did not show up at our table to greet us (actually, he never greeted us) and take drink orders for about 10 mins. Jeffrey gave every impression that he preferred to be somewhere other than waiting on our table in his general attitude, demeanor, body language and tone. He took drink orders and ambled off, to return with our drinks about 5 mins. later. He wandered off again and could be seen at the back of the restaurant and in the kitchen, chatting with fellow employees. He finally took our lunch order, again giving off major "tude" and acting like we were interfering with something important he would rather be doing. My colleague and I finished our glasses of iced tea and waited for ole Jeffrey to notice - this is something that any professional wait staff would pay attention to - you only have to glance over at a table to see if drinks need to be refreshed. We finally asked a waitress there to tap him on the shoulder and let him know that we would like drink refills, which she promptly did. Ole Jeffrey grabbed a carafe of iced tea and came over to our table and actually looked away from the table as he carelessly splashed tea into my glass and over onto my pants leg. He saw it, but did not acknowledge it or apologize for it and ignored my glare. While waiting for lunch, we again emptied our glasses and AGAIN had to ask for refills. This time, Jeffrey slopped the tea onto my colleague’s phone as he filled his glass. He was incredibly careless and uncaring in his demeanor and attitude. While we were enjoying our lunch, which was delicious and the sole redeeming thing from this lunch, my colleague dropped his knife on the floor while Jeffrey was bussing the table right next to us. The knife landed within a few inches of Jeffrey’s foot. Again, ole Jeffrey refused to even acknowledge that had happened, no less go and get his diner another knife. This was the first time in about 30 years where I have left NO tip for a wait staffer. I worked in the bar/restaurant business early on, and know how little wait staff are paid and how they depend on tips. I tend to be forgiving and generous. This time, I not only did not leave a tip, but put a large X in the tip section of the receipt to make sure it was known that I deliberately did not tip here. The incredibly sloppy and uncaring service still had me steaming on into the afternoon. This is NOT the type of experience that I want to have when I dine out for any meal.

Again, the food was great. I had the prosciutto & gorgonzola sandwich and my colleague had a gyro. We both enjoyed our respective meals, but left Stella’s with such a bad taste in our mouth (pun intended) because of the abysmal service from Jeffrey that neither of us will return.

2  Thank EdGooding