“Ipanema: yes, please!”

Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I just moved to Richmond from DC and haven't had the best luck with vegetarian food down here. But I have to say, Ipanema is definitely the stand-out vegetarian place in Richmond. Honestly, it's better than most anything I had in DC, as far as originality and taste. The only downside is the service, which wasn't terrible, but was pretty....casual. That is the only reason why my rating is "very good" instead of "excellent." I hate reviews of vegetarian food that says "even a carnivore will like it" because I find that really patronizing, but if I was ever to say it, it would be for this place.

1  Thank TdotJrod

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Loved our experience here but the menu was limited and it was really expensive. I like their sister cafe better, Garnetts.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Ipanema is our favorite place to go for vegetarian meals when visiting Richmond. Our son moved to Richmond about 8 years ago. He introduced us to the good food and good service shortly after he checked out the different restaurants in town. We've usually gone there first when we visit. The food selection is always a fun adventure with the only menu on the blackboard at the entrance. They have a good selection of beer on tap and wines. The service is always good. We keep coming back. If you haven't tried it yet, it's highly recommended.

1  Thank JRFarrellSR
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We discovered this cafe on our second day in Richmond and returned the second day. The menu is quite eclectic and included seafood both days. My husband is a vegetarian but I am not. I happily ordered a bbq jack fruit sandwich which was served on a large home baked roll with sweet potato fries and a delicious mixed green salad dressed with house balsamic vinaigrette. It was so good that I ordered the same thing the next day. My husband ordered the tofu sandwich (came with the same sides) and he, while not particularly fond of tofu, loved it.

The desserts are homemade. We enjoyed butterscotch cheesecake and pear blueberry pie. Both were delicious.

You won't be disappointed at Ipanema.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Unusual and brilliant fare with the most interesting combination of vegetarian dishes. I loved a summer salad with fresh greens, jicama and figs with a hibiscus dressing followed by Mofongo Plantain dish in a delicious tomato gravy. It was lip-smacking. My partner had a fish dish and a friend ordered a lovely quinoa with eggplant and pecorino and both of them were equally satisfied with their respective dishes. The wine selection too was affordable and quite excellent - I had a Tempranillo. I'll certainly go back to Ipanema and highly recommend the place.