“Electic food and atmosphere.”
Review of Ipanema Cafe

Ipanema Cafe
Ranked #173 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner
“Electic food and atmosphere.”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

It was very eclectic atmosphere almost goth. The food was good especially if you have allergies. Would go back.

2 Thank Charlestongirls210

Maryland
“Delicious way beyond my expectations!”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I read the reviews of this restaurant on here when I was looking for a place to eat during a day trip to Richmond. The only con about the place is that it is a little to tricky to find if you don't know where it is. But it is so worth the hunt!! As soon as we sat down the waiter appeared with glasses of ice water (it was easily 95 degrees outside). He took our orders and the food was prepared promptly and arrived looking as delicious as it tasted. My husband loved his tofu burger as it really tasted like grilled tuna, which he hasn't had for 13 years since we became vegetarians. My TLT was delicious too, but I did ask for the sprouts to be swapped for lettuce and it was no problem. Two of our kids had the eggplant panini and the other had the hummus sandwich and they loved those too. We ended the meal with Mexican chocolate pie and banana cake, both vegan of course, and the waiter surprised us by also giving us a cup of vegan ice cream on the house because he thought we would like to try it. My only regret with this restaurant is that I don't live close enough to dine there more often!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank tarheelal
Hyattsville, Maryland
“pretty good”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Visited this restaurant during a weekend sightseeing trip to Richmond. The food was pretty good. The atmosphere and decor were funky (although, it was gross that the wood table top was covered in stains and cigarette burns...suggesting it harbored all kinds of nasty bacteria...). The best part about the experience was actually the server, who was nice, helpful, and down to earth.
I'd go again, but the food wasn't so great that it worth specially going to eat there, as we did.

• Visited May 2011
New Jersey
“The only problem was- the food was so good that I ate too much!”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I had eaten at Ipanema last year and loved it then-so when I returned I was a bit disappointed that the items I had wanted to order again were not on their ever changing blackboard menu. Not a problem. Lots of great things to choose from and unless you are a dyed in the wool carnivore there are many delicious options. The foccacia appetizer with either a red dipping sauce or chopped garlic and herbs-to which you add olive oil was fantastic! Even the simple house salad with its ginger dressing was delicious! Salmon was fantastic, as were the simple side veggies. My hubby (a total non-veg) said the tomato asiago soup was "amazing". Sweet potato fries were good, but I thought a bit too greasy. Save room for dessert! Big selection of vegan pies that will make you wonder why you even bother to add dairy or eggs when baking. The mixed berry pie and Mexican chocolate were fabulous! We were stuffed! Another fantastic meal at Ipanema!

1 Thank NewJerseyFirefly
Tappahannock, Virginia
“One of my favorite restaurants, and I'm not vegetarian”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I've eaten almost everything on Ipanema's menu and with the exception of 1-2 things everything was outstanding. Lunch is more reasonably priced, and you get some sandwich served with sweet Potato Fries or pasta salad, as well as a salad with great ginger dressing. Chef's are great at using meat substitues, had my wife try the tofu wrap and told her it was chicken, she could not tell the difference. Plus service is Excellent

Been to Ipanema Cafe? Share your experiences!