“A must if you're in the Richmond area”
Review of Mamma Zu's

Mamma Zu's
Ranked #130 of 1,620 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Came down to Richmond for a youth wrestling tournament and got a tremendously pleasant surprise. We were guided to Mamma Zu's through a family member who lives close by and I can say it was one of the best recommendations I've ever received. The food was awesome and the portions were outrageous.

There are newer reviews for Mamma Zu's

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Simple. This food is amazing. Authentic Italian. A true hole in the wall- best secret in Richmond. The best Italian I have ever had. But be forewarned, the service is mediocre at best. The same guy has been the doorman for years and he's not the most pleasant human being you'll meet. It's cash only and no reservations. But don't miss out, go to this restaurant. Go for the food, not for the service. Enjoy. You'll find me there almost every other week.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I've been to Mamma Zu's twice, and both times it has been very good. Maybe I'm not an Italian lover of the first degree, but I would not wait an hour-plus for a table, though. Getting there at 5:30 is the way to go. And even then, they were still out of the meat lasagna the last time I was there. I had the vegetable lasagna instead, and it was 4" x 2" x 3" (my best guestimate) of well cooked noodles, just the right amount of cheese, and perfectly crispy corners. My boyfriend got the tuna steak, which had a great, albeit very peppery flavor. We agreed that we'd prefer a dish that contained a 1/4 serving each of lasagna and tuna. If I were going back, I'd try to share a dish or be prepared for many leftovers. Oh -- for all you Diet Coke lovers, they only have Coke and Sprite. They do, however, bring a pitcher of water, which means no asking for refills.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

This I the best food in Richmond and comparable to many Italian places in NYC! This is a no frills place but worth the food.

1  Thank R Q
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Hole in the wall place, not in the most brightly lit neighborhoods, but the food was great. I will go again.