“This is a great place for dinner”
Review of Kuba-Kuba

Kuba-Kuba
Ranked #15 of 1,608 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Spanish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Concord, New Hampshire
“This is a great place for dinner”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

It was the second time I tried Kuba-Kuba and both have been excellent. It has a diner look to it but don't let that put you off. The food is great, portions large, and the prices just right. There is a wide variety of items on the menu from full entrees, salads, and omelets. The service was very good. If you are in a hurry, you can eat at the counter. The only thing that kept me from excellent is no beer on tap. They have a good selection of beers but in a city with multiple microbreweries they should have at least a few. Great meal and I will go back.

• Visited August 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“nice late lunch with friends”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Me and 3 of my girlfriends came here for lunch. They all ordered their specialty coffee drinks- sorry I can't remember the name but apparently they are famous for it. One of my friends was on the atkins diet and our server happily worked with her to make a dish work for her. The other 2 ordered the cuban sandwich, it was very tasty. They use a panini press instead of doing it on the flat top which is much better. When it's done on the grill it almost always seems soggy. I ordered the scallop ceviche. I've had many ceviches before and loved them but never scallop and I was curious. It was prob because I hadn't eaten yet that day but I couldn't eat more than a few bites. I couldn't get past the texture but I could tell that I still loved the flavor. I've had numerous friends tell me how much they love this place and I can recommend it just based on that. It's a small place, nothing fancy and it only has one bathroom. I wouldn't just walk in with a large group. Had a nice experience even though I didn't eat much. The service was great- oh and I love their cute aprons.

• Visited July 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Just go.”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I sat at the bar next door after hours with the chef discussing how he was going to go procure the goat for the dinner special the next night. This is high quality food. They care, they love it. It taste amazing. Their brunch is perfect for fixing your last nights revenge also. Just go eat there.

• Visited May 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Big on flavor, big on portions, small on price”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I have been to Kuba Kuba half a dozen times and have never been disappointed. The food is amazing - we're fans of the roast pork and paella. The food is very fresh and flavorful, not too spicy or salty. Eggs at brunch, Cuban coffee, and tres leche for desert are also great, depending on the meal and your appetite. Portions are always huge for the price; we almost always leave with tasty leftovers. Take-out is also available (and you still get massive portions).

Kuba Kuba's only "downside" is the service & atmosphere. It's fashioned like a typical Cuban diner from the 50's and is almost too authentic in that regard, as there are fixtures and trim that don't look like they've been updated in 60+ years. Also, its a small space with limited seating options, especially for large parties. And the waitstaff, while pleasant and adequate, are not going to be particularly attentive once your entrees have been delivered. None of these things steer us away, and in fact we feel like its all part of Kuba Kuba's charm, but its easy to imagine them being turn-offs for the less adventurous diners who prefer chains or finer dining.

• Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, MN
“Cubano!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Was in town visiting when a friend took me there for dinner. While it has a "dive" look, the food is most definitely not dive. I had the Kubanaso sandwich along with the avocado salad, probably more food than I needed but worth stuffing my face. Only complaint - try to avoid getting the table next to the bathroom if you can, way too much traffic and people asking us if someone was in there.

• Visited June 2013