“I can only speak on the bar”

Morton's The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #202 of 1,730 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Canal Street
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Great service for that type of customer. But if you just want to relax and have a private conversation with a lady, go to lemaire at the Jefferson Hotel. We had dinner at the latter and left for a change up at the Morton bar and felt the bar staff to be intrusive, yet very nice. Do people go to Morton's bars to have the bartenders shift out to tables and tell stories ? I didn't know this but can say that I can handle my own funny stories and don't need outside help getying involved - particularly when we just want to spend time together.

The bar itself is upscale and cozy if at tables - less cozy when BOTH bartenders separately at different times come by to do their bit.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Our group of 11 could not have asked for more: the food was outstanding & the service was most accommodating. Yes, it is expensive but we knew that going in -- celebrating graduation, birthdays & Mother's Day. I did not request a private room but that is where we were seated which made conversation easier for us & less intrusive for other diners. Our primary server was Jay. He was terrific! He made helpful recommendations & was attentive, but did not hover. As for the food .... the steak, scallops, salmon & crab cakes were superb. The sides are advertised large enough to share & they are. The brussel sprouts are particularly delicious -- this from an anti-b.sprout person. Try the Mac & cheese, too. Several in our party split salads, which the kitchen did for us. Then there are the desserts .... heaven! So, all told, we are believers in Morton's -- for a special occasion.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Morton's is a big time steak place with big time prices. They need more diversity in the steak sizes; wedge salad had way too much dressing; waiter was pushing some of the specials which stuck out like a sore thumb on a steak menu; dessert was excellent. I still love Morton's but it may be a dying concept if it continues to move away from its roots as great prime steak!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

What a disappointment. There were three of use. We all had the same items. I started off with one of their specialty drinks – French Raspberry. It had too much Vodka and not enough Chamborge. You could not taste the raspberry. The highlight of the meal was the bread so you know this was not a good meal. I order the Prosciutto wrapped mozzarella. It was OK and came in second for the best of the evening. For the main course, we all ordered a filet. I ordered the 6 oz cooked medium. It was cooks medium as I asked but was served cold. Yes it was cold. The sides were average au gratin potatoes and Lyonnais potatoes. Nothing special here either. For dessert we all shared a slice of Key Lime pie. It was very good. So for all I paid $98. What a waste of money. Sorry, even though we complained and you asked us to come back so make it better, I am not sure I want to risk spending that much money again.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I dined at Morton's for Valentine's Day. I made the reservations on-line and it was very easy. When we drove up to the front of the restaurant, there is a sign saying Valet parking for $7.00. Unless you live within walking distance to the restaurant or have an intimate knowledge of hidden parking spots, you really don't have a choice. So we got out, an attendant gave us a receipt and we went inside. We were greeted immediately by a cheerful hostess who led us to our table. I've got to say, the single tables are much too small. When you have your drinks, bread, entree and side dishes, it is very cramped. And the salad dishes they brought took up nearly half of the table top space.

A person immediately offered us bottled or municipal water and within moments, our waitress appeared to take our cocktail/drink order. After about 5 minutes, our drinks were delivered. We then asked about the special menu and our waitress looked like I didn't know what I was talking about. I said that I had called earlier in the day to confirm our reservations and was told there was a steak and seafood special which included steak, a crabcake or scallops, a salad for each of us, a vegetable for each of us and a desert for each of us. She said that if that's what I was told, that is what we would get.

She brought our bread shortly after talking our food order. Bread is onion crusted and very good. When we finished that, the bread plate was taken away as was our knives. When the replacement bread was delivered, we had no knives and had to wait about 5 minutes to get them.

We requested the Mortons salad which was very good. If you don't like anchovies, tell them or your salad will come with them.

Next came the meal. It included a 6 oz filet, 2 scallops wrapped with bacon, 6 huge asparagus spears with Hollandaise sauce and a large baked potato. The idea with the veggies is to give you big enough portions to share. The filet was absolutely superb, cooked to perfection. The asparagus were rather tough and stringy. The potato was excellent. Our server was attentive but not intrusive during our meal which was nice.

We then waited for our desert. They delivered a small chocolate lava cake to my wife and the look on her face told me it was superb. However, I had ordered the crème broulette and they brought a slice of key lime pie. It took about 5 minutes to get the correct desert.

We then received the bill and I was shocked to see we were being charged for each vegetable. When I brought it to our server's attention, she apologized and admitted she keyed it wrong. Within a few minutes, an amended bill was presented which was acceptable.

We left and presented our receipt to the valet person. It seemed very unorganized but everyone was very friendly and our vehicle was delivered within 5 minutes. I guess they know what they are doing.

This was our 4th visit to Mortons and I believe it has slipped a little. The food, as always, is very good but the little things like having no knife to slice bread or no spoon to eat the crème broulette or botching the bill make me wonder if it was just bad night or there is another problem. Would I return? Probably, but not during a time when a large crowd is expected.

Been to Morton's The Steakhouse? Share your experiences!