“A Step Above Most Steak Houses”

Morton's - The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Morton's - The Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #202 of 1,612 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Canal Street
Richmond, Virginia
“A Step Above Most Steak Houses”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I dined at Morton's for Valentine's Day. I made the reservations on-line and it was very easy. When we drove up to the front of the restaurant, there is a sign saying Valet parking for $7.00. Unless you live within walking distance to the restaurant or have an intimate knowledge of hidden parking spots, you really don't have a choice. So we got out, an attendant gave us a receipt and we went inside. We were greeted immediately by a cheerful hostess who led us to our table. I've got to say, the single tables are much too small. When you have your drinks, bread, entree and side dishes, it is very cramped. And the salad dishes they brought took up nearly half of the table top space.

A person immediately offered us bottled or municipal water and within moments, our waitress appeared to take our cocktail/drink order. After about 5 minutes, our drinks were delivered. We then asked about the special menu and our waitress looked like I didn't know what I was talking about. I said that I had called earlier in the day to confirm our reservations and was told there was a steak and seafood special which included steak, a crabcake or scallops, a salad for each of us, a vegetable for each of us and a desert for each of us. She said that if that's what I was told, that is what we would get.

She brought our bread shortly after talking our food order. Bread is onion crusted and very good. When we finished that, the bread plate was taken away as was our knives. When the replacement bread was delivered, we had no knives and had to wait about 5 minutes to get them.

We requested the Mortons salad which was very good. If you don't like anchovies, tell them or your salad will come with them.

Next came the meal. It included a 6 oz filet, 2 scallops wrapped with bacon, 6 huge asparagus spears with Hollandaise sauce and a large baked potato. The idea with the veggies is to give you big enough portions to share. The filet was absolutely superb, cooked to perfection. The asparagus were rather tough and stringy. The potato was excellent. Our server was attentive but not intrusive during our meal which was nice.

We then waited for our desert. They delivered a small chocolate lava cake to my wife and the look on her face told me it was superb. However, I had ordered the crème broulette and they brought a slice of key lime pie. It took about 5 minutes to get the correct desert.

We then received the bill and I was shocked to see we were being charged for each vegetable. When I brought it to our server's attention, she apologized and admitted she keyed it wrong. Within a few minutes, an amended bill was presented which was acceptable.

We left and presented our receipt to the valet person. It seemed very unorganized but everyone was very friendly and our vehicle was delivered within 5 minutes. I guess they know what they are doing.

This was our 4th visit to Mortons and I believe it has slipped a little. The food, as always, is very good but the little things like having no knife to slice bread or no spoon to eat the crème broulette or botching the bill make me wonder if it was just bad night or there is another problem. Would I return? Probably, but not during a time when a large crowd is expected.

• Visited February 2013

Midlothian, Virginia
“very client friendly”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our group of 5 went for the bar bites. Normally they are made for 4 but Sean, our waiter, took care of what we needed. Same with the cold air that was blowing directly me. Fixed. Food was good though I did n't care for the crab bites. The tenderloin and cheeseburgers were delicious. But the best were the french fries- shoestrings potatoes in truffle oil. I'll go back just for those and the great drinks Sean made.

• Visited January 2013
“Was ok, Expense Account Prices”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The restaurant was empty, the service was ok, a bit stuffy. The food was good but I have had much better at half the price. We will not go back just for that alone

Visited October 2012
Canada
“Skip it, lots of great restaurants in Richmond”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We ate a Morton's on a Friday night. The service was really poor, the food was average at best and the price was much too high for the meal. There are so many great restaurants in Richmond, don't eat here.

Visited September 2012
ASHLAND
“What a good restaurant should be.”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I like the choice of steaks, although you can't get a prime rib until the weekend. I always order the lettuce wedge with their special blu cheese dressing. It's amazing. A good place to take someone special. I suggested my son take his girl there to present his special surprise...an engagement ring! She was so thrilled and the next table gave them a standing ovation. It was perfect for the occasion.

Visited April 2012

Been to Morton's - The Steakhouse? Share your experiences!