“Amazing food, great people and amazing belgian beer selection.”

Mekong Vietnamese Restaurant
Ranked #55 of 1,623 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Who would have thought belgian beer.pairs with Vietnamese food? It works! My favorite items are the appetizer sample, curry chicken and tofu in a clay pot. Yum!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Always sat in front room, but this time was seated in back near the bar. The food was good as always but it became evident that this is also a busy nite spot. Will be back but I think I'll wait for a table up front.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Love this restaurant! And the food comes instantly! But the beer Flemish Sour Cherry is too sour and tastes like vinegar.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've always been impressed with Mekong. It is one of the best Vietnamese restaurants I've been to. the food is always fresh and flavorful, with a wide selection to choose from. I personally recommend their soups.

As for their beer selection: its smaller and Capital Ale house, but has much higher quality brews in general. There is a heavy lean towards high quality Belgian beers, and a good collection of American micro-brews as well.

My only complaint is that the service can be a bit slow at times, but its hardly a deal breaker.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I love Vietnamese food. However, my experience at Mekong was unexciting. This is probably because I made the wrong choice from the menu - my soup, which was lacking in substance and flavor, seemed to pale in comparison to the rice dishes my companions ordered.

The fried Banh Xep I ordered as an appetizer was also disappointing - a platter covered in lettuce, with way more fried dough than pork. Meh.

Of course, the beer menu is incomparable. I had a lovely, large Chimay, which might have been even better had the food been up to snuff. I'm still willing to go back here and try again. Maybe I'll go with something safe, like spring rolls.