“Great chicken livers, great food low prices”
Review of Joe's Inn

Joe's Inn
Ranked #37 of 1,644 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed April 10, 2014

There is always a line at the original Joes Inn on Shields avenue in the Fan District. The best fried chicken Livers, and good spaghetti a La Joes. Reasonable and large portions. Great place for Lunch, Dinner or a few drinks.

1  Thank Pedro C

Reviewed March 7, 2014

My pasta dish had an inch of water in the bowl. Pasta was not properly drained. Sauce and cheese made me sick to my stomach.

3  Thank Rose42098
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I loved the Blackened Chicken Alfredo. Hated the burger.

I asked the server about the burgers, in my quest for the best burger in town. She assured me it was the best burger in the area. I had gone there before and had the Chicken alfredo pasta dish, it was great. Something to go back for. But the burger was a comedy of unflavors and excuses from the manager.

I was there for business for a late lunch. I decided to test the kitchen and order what I expected to be a great meal, since so many people talk about the restaurant and how long it has been there. When I got my meal, it turned out to be something I could have gotten for a dollar at a mediocre fast food restaurant. Buns were cold, the cheese was barely melted, the patty was so insignificant in flavor and size, that it tasted like an air sandwich. I really thought the cook had gone out for cigarette and the dishwasher had made my meal. Slapped two cold buns together, defrosted a "blahh" burger looking like patty, and thrown it on my plate. That was really bad! But when I thought it couldn't get worse, I opted to share my experience with the server, after we ate. (you know, you should never return a plate to the kitchen unless you want "revenge" served on your plate when it comes back out. We were assured by the server and later the manager, that their kitchen would never do that. (I don't know if they would or not, I hope not, but I will let someone else find out for sure.)

What put the icing on the cake, was, when I told the manager that the burger, being such an easy thing to fix, normally would prove to be an excellent way to determine the quality of the chef/cook/dishwasher?, As any good restaurant that was supposedly "good" and included a burger on their menu, would definitely have a WONDERFUL example of that so simple American staple. Well, I was told, "we are not a burger joint". This was the excuse for a much less than perfect "burger experience at Joe's Inn.

I could not believe it! If you are to include a burger in your adult menu, wouldn't you make it the best burger interpretation in town? Something that would show all that you take the time and attention to detail on every dish you that "represents" your brand.

Maybe I am too much of a stickler for my burger challenge.

I should have known though. When the mayonnaise comes to you in a packet dropped on the side of the bun, It is not a good sign.

Still Looking for the best burger.

3  Thank Sam B
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I really wanted to like this place going in, my two friends said the pasta is out of the world and some of the best they've had. When I got there it was hectic and a bit disorganized. Not the end of the world though since I can certainly understand that they can't be everywhere. We were seated relatively shortly.

I'll start by saying their beer list is highly impressive. I'm big into craft beer and I was not disappointed. While they were out of my first choice, there was still plenty to choose from after. The problem was the food. I got a pizza figuring it was a bit chilly and if they made good pasta they would probably make good pizza as well. Wrong. The pizza was awful, worse than a lot of frozen pizzas. I only ended up eating a quarter of it and got rid of the rest.

My two friends got a pasta that they split and said was very good. My girlfriend however got a grilled cheese sandwich which somehow had the cheese burnt. How hard is it to screw up a grilled cheese sandwich? The waitress was fine, though nothing special.

The worst part was that I ended up feeling sick a few hours after. While I never got full food poisoning or anything, I certainly had my night ruined do to feeling ill. My girlfriend who had a slice of my pizza felt minor effects as well, though not as much as I did. I presume it was the pizza, though obviously have no way of proving that.

Overall I'd come back for drinks, but would not eat here again.

3  Thank Colin C
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The beer list here is so huge, it takes up an entire wall. But we came for a no-fuss lunch and we got it. I had a tuna salad sandwich and it was pretty good. Good kids' menu. Great service. It's tucked away on a mostly residential street and is very unassuming.

2  Thank Diane C

Been to Joe's Inn? Share your experiences!