“Excellent Food, Well Prepared”
Review of Zeus Gallery Cafe - CLOSED

Zeus Gallery Cafe
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Orlean, Virginia
“Excellent Food, Well Prepared”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My daughter and her boyfriend took my spouse and I to Zeus for my birthday. We walked there from her nearby apartment because finding a parking spot can be difficult in the neighborhood. The venue seemed underwhelming from the outside, but once inside we felt welcomed and the ambiance was great - albeit a little noisy.

We were shown a nice large booth that could seat six, so we had plenty of room to enjoy our meal. We brought wine with us and paid the $10 corkage fee. Well worth it since the wine list, while very nice, seemed a little pricey.

Our server walked us through the menu and specials and we chose to share a Caprese salad as an appetizer, ordering two for the four of us. Delicious! In addition to the mozzarella, tomato and balsamic vinegar, the salad came with some very tasty, thinly-sliced cucumbers. We loved it!

Each of us ordered a different main course. I had Filet Mignon - tender, flavorful and served with mashed potatoes and asparagus; both well-prepared. My spouse ordered Beef Medallions with similar sides. The medallions were very, very tender and delicious. My daughter had a home made pasta dish with a fine-tasting light, creamy tomato sauce. Both the pasta and the sauce were carefully prepared and delicious. My daughter's boyfriend ordered the paella. He raved about it. The seafood and rice were matched well and the taste was out of this world.

So, at Zeus, the food is excellent and you can bring your own favorite bottle of wine. That's a great combination.

If you're watching your budget, there are some entrees that are very affordable and there are appetizers you can turn into entrees at a reasonable price.

The service is fine, and it's friendly as you would expect in a local eatery.

We'd go back in a heartbeat and try other menu items now that we know Zeus is a great neighborhood-style restaurant.

• Visited August 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“expensive”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have always liked this restaurant but feel it is too pricy. I had a vegetarian with me and they had trouble fixing something suitable for him. I got soft shell crabs and they were small but tasty.

Visited July 2013
Richmond
“My favorite”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Standards, service and choices always delight! My choice for special occasions and weekend brunch. Never disappointed here, and that includes guests. Freshest local ingredients, and great combination of ingredients with beautiful presentations are a part of every dish. Don't pass up desserts - excellent seasonal choices along with sensational creme brulee and molten chocolate cakes!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank KarenRichmond
Los Angeles, California
“A Neighborhood Gem”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

What a fun, cool, cozy and delicious restaurant. We felt like we could have been in a small trattoria in NY or Italy or Paris. Owner operated, personal service and excellent food, in an art gallery filled neighborhood.

• Visited March 2013
St. Joseph, Michigan
“Fun, Funky and Flavorful”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

From the menu written on a chalkbroad to the half price special on a bottle of wine (over $50), Zeus does things a little different. The service was personable, the food was fresh and the atmosphere inviting. It's a small place, obviously a neighborhood favorite. It was highly recommended by our B&B hostess and she did not steer us wrong.

• Visited April 2013