“Should have never move to the new and improve”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Benny's BBQ - CLOSED

Benny's BBQ
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our mission is to provide our customers with a delicious all naturally smoked pork shoulder that is chopped to order right in font of the customer. Our appetizers, side dishes and desserts are home made fresh daily along with our signature sauces. Our business philosophy is simple: "Treat others as you would personally like to be treated and provide them with the best quality products and services at reasonable prices." Our restaurant has received the Governor Bob McDonald's award for Best BBQ in Virginia 2010, We have been featured on Virginia This Morning (WTVR Channel 6) as Best BBQ in Richmond. We are the ONLY BBQ restaurant that has been invited to the Governor's Mansion 3 years in a row (4 including this year when the event is scheduled) to showcase our BBQ. At Benny's BBQ we strive to serve you the best BBQ meal we can offer. As a rule since the original owner, Benny Gill owned the restaurant if you are not satisfied with your meal we will gladly make it right for you. All we ask in return is the opportunity to make your dining experience most enjoyable. Our servers are trained to check on our guests several times during your meal to make sure you are happy with your entire dining experience.
Fairfax, Virginia
“Should have never move to the new and improve”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Bennys was a small quiet place that kept busy by making great BBQ in small batches, but then they decieded to move five miles down the road at a jumbo location and everything was going bland by then, basically south. Big place with no atmosphere that has never fill up like the old place. You use to bump into many familiar faces in the smaller one, but now they are just visitors from another neighborhood.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank zgateisfull

Powhatan, Virginia
“Went for Family event.....”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Went for a family birthday celebration. They accommodated 30 of us, and the waitress was cheerful and as efficient as she could be with such an onslaught. She was patient with the older members of our family, who are hard of hearing, and with the littlest ones.

The food?? Well....my dad ordered pulled pork and I ordered pulled beef. Neither had much taste, and the cole slaw, although beautifully coloured, had no flavour. The hushpuppies were not fully cooked, but the french fries were remarkably tasty. Fried in peanut oil, I think?? The folks sitting next to us ordered the ribs, and they looked tasty, but were reportedly very chewy...Not falling-off-the-bone tender...

Everyone looked like the got nice portions, and no one left hungry....Atmosphere was bustling, but not too much so..

We'll be back.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank MrsPrigg
Richmond, Virginia
“Good 'comfort' food”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was part of a group lunch, about 30 people. Very well done. It was presented as a buffet...one for the gathering as an appetizer buffet. Then entree dishes were added to the buffet for starting the lunch portion. The ribs are fabulous! Great for families. Easy parking. I understand take-off is great as well.

Visited December 2012
“So so, needs a 2nd visit to confirm”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Like other reviewers I frequented the 'old' Bennys in Stratford Hills, then moved away for 5 yrs. was in area for bizness and stumbled upon the new location.

Ordered pulled pork platter, found the pork rather dry and lacking flavor. Sides were good. Other guests in my party had sandwiches with cole slaw and they seemed to enjoy them.

I wasnt overwhelmed. But how could this happen at one of Richmonds institution BBQ joints. I heard they have new ownership....

I'm not convinced, I'll give them 1 more try.

1 Thank bn_trav
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What happened?”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Came in for a beer and to sing karaoke, couldnt get any food and the crowd was strange. Bartender was nice but I think I was the only "straight" customer. Music was too loud, no karaoke and it sounded more suited for a club on jeff davis than Bon Air. Goodbye Benny.

1 Thank Livinbigger