“Excellent food and service.”

Patina Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #293 of 1,631 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad Street
Description: Patina is Short Pump’s go-to spot for an independent culinary establishment. Our menu, created by Executive Chef Kyle Cox, an Elby award nominee, contains a variety of dishes in the farm to table to fork tradition, prepared nightly by Chef Cox, using the freshest seasonal ingredients available.Chef Cox’s prepares all dishes using as many sustainable, organic, local and ethical products as possible. Because we use the best products from the best farms, we know we are bringing the best possible food and service to your table.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was our first visit to Richmond. A friend recommended we try Patina during our visit to Richmond. I had the herb crusted lamb loin and my wife had the monk fish. Both dishes were prepared wonderfully. The wine list was somewhat limited but we were told they use wines from smaller winerys. We had no trouble selecting a great red that was recommended by the staff. We had the chocolate cake for desert which was delicious. We are looking forward to another trip to Richmond and a second visit to Patina.

1  Thank Elliott B

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We returned by accident ...one of our favorite restaurants up the street was fully booked so we decided to grab a cocktail somewhere else while we waited for our table. We thought Patina was closed but saw the lights on and TV going and decided to stop in. I was happy to see Mark behind the bar - he is an excellent bartender and makes a mean drink (Cosmo is my favorite). I was hesitant to try the food because my past Patina experiences with dinner were mediocre but Mark shared the restaurant was under a new owner and chef...we are so glad we did. The food was excellent ... My only complaint is the bench seats behind the bar are not comfortable after sitting for awhile. We stole cushions form the front seating area to make it more comfortable. We will be going back very soon!

2  Thank KC M
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The far end of Richmond is not known for its local restaurants like the Fan or downtown. In the West End it is home to the "plastic menu" chains at all ends of the price spectrum. We just ate at Patina. The restaurant was recently bought and renovated. The has an upscale interior that is well decorated and quiet. There is a nice little sitting area with the bar. The menu is small but good dishes. It would be nice to see a little more variety, pork and chicken is too basic to be on the same menu. I had the shrimp appetizer, which was quite good. My pasta dish was also good. My partner had a salad and the hanger steak. His only complaint was the very small portion of steak- that was disappointing. Overall I would say the food is very good here. There wine list had some good options at various price points. The wait staff may need some training. Our waitress did not offer the cork from the wine bottle, but did pour a taste. She also did not know how to pour the wine as she dripped it on the table every time. The staff uniforms of gray t-shirts are not very becoming for an upscale establishment. This is a nice spot for a quiet dinner with good food and wine.

1  Thank FlyRight
Reviewed December 31, 2012

After learning of the change of hands, gave new Patina a try with a companion who loved the old menu/vibe. The menu, while creative, was short, as was the wine list. Entrees, while tasty, were small. Wait staff was a bit on the brusque side. No more young lady servers - it appeared to be all male. Had to ask for bread and water refills. As my party of three were the only diners on a week night, the lack of attention to detail made a poor first impression. You only have one chance to make a good first impression. Don't think we'll be back.

1  Thank Old Hessian D
Reviewed December 15, 2012

For those of you that read my reviews you know I always go at least twice somewhere before submitting. So when we heard one of our favs was sold off to new owner with new staff we decided to give a shot. Same bar, same great setup, new faces - seem to want a simple farm to market type concept. limited entree and starter menu wtih basic recipes. Good - prices not bad compared to the mid 30 and 40 entrees at the Patina Grill but entree portions are smaller than before. Bad/Mixed - the once vibrant bar crowd has moved on, probably to Accanto. Bar was dead, restaurant was dead both times. Service took a while for so few people but friendly/knowledgable barkeeps. 2 meals mixed - fresh pasta cooked too al dente with so little sauce as to almost eating raw pasta. Nice quail special but not an entree size at all, more of a starter. Short ribs over polenta - no flavor at all, how is this possible with short ribs? Chicken dish was good, but chicken.......come on! If on menu it needs to be special. Wine list is decent but confusing, no theme as related to menu with prices from $35-250. With this type of concept you need great flavor and superb execution and wine list to match. I do not see that so far and unfortunately it will be difficult to return. Far west end badly needs another good proprietor restaurant but sadly Patina misses the mark here and while not bad just average is not going to get it done for them.