“New Patina - sadly missed the mark”

Patina Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Patina Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #280 of 1,623 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad Street
Description: Patina is Short Pump’s go-to spot for an independent culinary establishment. Our menu, created by Executive Chef Kyle Cox, an Elby award nominee, contains a variety of dishes in the farm to table to fork tradition, prepared nightly by Chef Cox, using the freshest seasonal ingredients available.Chef Cox’s prepares all dishes using as many sustainable, organic, local and ethical products as possible. Because we use the best products from the best farms, we know we are bringing the best possible food and service to your table.
Reviewed December 15, 2012

For those of you that read my reviews you know I always go at least twice somewhere before submitting. So when we heard one of our favs was sold off to new owner with new staff we decided to give a shot. Same bar, same great setup, new faces - seem to want a simple farm to market type concept. limited entree and starter menu wtih basic recipes. Good - prices not bad compared to the mid 30 and 40 entrees at the Patina Grill but entree portions are smaller than before. Bad/Mixed - the once vibrant bar crowd has moved on, probably to Accanto. Bar was dead, restaurant was dead both times. Service took a while for so few people but friendly/knowledgable barkeeps. 2 meals mixed - fresh pasta cooked too al dente with so little sauce as to almost eating raw pasta. Nice quail special but not an entree size at all, more of a starter. Short ribs over polenta - no flavor at all, how is this possible with short ribs? Chicken dish was good, but chicken.......come on! If on menu it needs to be special. Wine list is decent but confusing, no theme as related to menu with prices from $35-250. With this type of concept you need great flavor and superb execution and wine list to match. I do not see that so far and unfortunately it will be difficult to return. Far west end badly needs another good proprietor restaurant but sadly Patina misses the mark here and while not bad just average is not going to get it done for them.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Patina Grill, long a favorite of Richmonders has been sold to a new owner. I don't know Greer Bernstein (the new owner), but the clean look and simplified menu shows us that she has a deft touch of a pro. The new menu is simpler than before and very good. It also seems to me that the entres are somewhat less expensive.

Four of us had dinner at Patina this week and found the salads, entres and the deserts to be excellent. The Tiny Gems salad was a wonderful take on a Caesar Salad. We had monkfish, scallops, and chicken, and everyone raved about their entres. I had the pistachio gelato for desert (it was made there by hand), and it was great. The cheesecake "bits" was also a fav at our table.

The win list has reasonable and fine wins for the choosing. We went Spanish and enjoyed it a lot. So the new Patina is a lighter, fresh change from our old friend. We'll head that way whenever we're out in the Short Pump area. TAKE NOTE, THE PHONE NUMBER HAS CHANGED TO 804.360.8500

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Dined at the restaurant on 12-11-12. Food was nicely presented but portions were extremely small. Waiter even remarked that my husband's salad was much smaller than the other servings at the table so I thought he was going to make some amends - bring more salad to the table but he did nothing. To top off our evening the prices were exorbitant for the quality and quantity served. We will not be going back any time soon.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

One of the best decorated restaurants around. Not enough choices in food. Should have renamed when reopened under new management. Everyone thinks it is still the old Patina Grill. Which it seems to be.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Patina Grill is on the west side of Richmond, and it's worth the drive. We enjoyed a fabulous meal. I had the grilled lamb chops which were excellent. The decor was attractive, and the service could not have been better. We went on Tuesday night, and like others have said, it was not particularly busy. I've noticed that they get much busier towards the weekend. Frankly, we enjoyed the quiet ambiance, but if you prefer a more lively experience, go on Friday or Saturday night.

We have food allergies, and I commend our waitress Kate and the chef for helping us with our choices. We usually alert a restaurant about our allergies when we make our reservations, which we did, and the chef surprised us by preparing a superb desert for us because there was not one on the menu that my wife could have. I will certainly return to the Patina Grill whenever I'm in the Richmond area.