“Good food and service”

Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Convenient public transit stops in front of the restaurant.
Description: Just one week short of celebrating our 40th Anniversary as Richmond’s premier dining and entertainment venue, The Tobacco Company Restaurant is sad to announce that we have temporarily closed operations due to fire damage. Our first thoughts are of our guests and our restaurant family. The amount of support we have received from area businesses and friends has been heartwarming. We are working with the City and inspectors to assess the damage. We are also working with other local restaurants and businesses to find employment for those displaced by the closing. We will be sending out weekly updates on the progress of our renovations and our plans for our grand reopening.
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This restaurant was across the street from The Berkeley Hotel, where we spent the night. We had lunch there on Monday, 9/9. At 2 pm, there was no problem getting a table.

Our waiter was very nice, spent some time chatting with us about Richmond when he learned we were from out of town. The drink refills were very prompt throughout the meal, The service was fast.

We both ordered the she-crab soup. It was rich and creamy, with a good amount of crab - very satisfying. My husband had the special, which was a turkey burger. He really enjoyed it, and the french fries that came with it were also good. I ordered the grilled chicken, fruit and spinach salad. To say the portion was generous would be an understatement. If I lived near this restaurant, I would have taken home half of the salad and still been full. As it was, with my husband's help, I almost ate the whole thing. The ingredients were very fresh - the raspberries were tasted as good as they looked, the granny smith apples tart and crispy - and the manchego cheese added a savory flavor layer.

The only down spot was when we first entered. When the hostess started to lead us to the stairs to the second floor dining area, I mentioned that my husband was having some trouble walking. She mentioned the elevator, but then led us up the stairs. The restaurant might was to coach its younger staff on how to make a visit as pleasant as possible for older guests. It didn't ruin the visit - but a different approach would have made our lunch even more pleasant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We were visiting Richmond on Sept. 6, 2013, and happened to walk by The Tobacco Company. The building is a wonderful site for a restaurant. Reservations are strongly recommended, however, we were there early, so we had no problem getting a table for 2. The staff was attentive and friendly, and the food was delicious! We wouldn't have changed a thing. We enjoyed apps & mixed drinks, all good. Our entres were the Rockfish and the Seared Scallops. Both were well-seasoned, uniquely prepared, and served hot. The She-crab soup was also delicious. We ended with hot coffee and "Mary Martin's" cheese pie . . . again, unusual, and delicious. PS: We did not use the valet parking . . . we were lucky enough to find a space on the street, so no problems there either.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The food was amazing, the venue is so unique, however dont let them sit you back by the service doors. We were right where all the servers come in and out and they would bump into us, and the fact that we didnt get great service and people kept passing us up was slightly annoying. The valet took about 10 min to come get our car. If the food wasnt so delicious this wouldnt not have recieved such a great rating. I had the scallops and they were delightful.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I ate here for her birthday and had a great time. The service was excellent, the food as delicious and the atmosphere was beautiful. The wait staff was excellent. I had the prime rib which was delicious and my wife had the filet mignon. We both thought the food was great. We left to catch a show, then returned to watch the band Stonebrook Moonshine. They do an awesome cover of Hey Joe. Overall, it is a little expensive, but definitely worth the dough if you want to go! (Rhyme unintended but I decided to leave it in anyway!)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Tobacco Company has one of the best Happy Hours in Downtown Richmond! In addition to offering 1/2 off well highballs and martinis, domestic beers and house wines, you can choose 3 full-sized appetizers from an impressive menu for $20 (enough to share with a friend or have as a meal.) The bar starts to get crowded around 5:00, however there are ample tables, chairs and intimate seating areas. Service is prompt and professional.