“OMG - I've Been Searching for This Burger for 14 Years”
Review of Dot's Back Inn

Dot's Back Inn
Ranked #44 of 1,640 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Fourteen years ago, I ate the blue cheese burger of a lifetime. I have been searching for it ever since then. I found it last night at Dot's Back Inn. As soon as I walked in the door, I knew this place was a winner. The atmosphere reminded me of Timberlake's in Charlottesville, VA: down-home, comfortable, and eclectic. My burger was even better. Juicy and scrumptious. It was cooked to a perfect medium rare. The quality blue cheese was piled high. The meat, roll, lettuce, tomato, and onion were complemented perfectly. Dot's Back Inn supassed the burger of my dreams! Run, don't walk to this Richmond jewel.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Decided to try this diner since it was showcased on Diner Drive-in and Dives. We got there just before the lunch crowd. The diner is small, and seating is limited, so do not go during peak hours or you will have to wait. The food is inexpensive, very ample, and not bad. Next time, we will have to sit at the counter and have a old-fashion root beer float.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went for my 1st time and had the fried catfish, collards, mash potatoes and it was great. Outstanding taste and fish was tender. Great atmosphere and service was great. Recommend Dots to everyone. You get more than what you pay for.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

But when it is bad, it's annoying.

You know, Dot's has good food - most of the time. And the service isn't bad - most of the time.

It's schizophrenic.

Some times....The fish specials have the potential to give much more expensive restaurants a run for their money. The burgers can be incredible - hand shaped patties cooked well with side of hand cut fries. The nachos are a pile of yummy chili, melty cheese, and other goodies.

And then...

Fish is taseless. Burgers are undercooked to the point of being a bloody, raw mess. The nachos are topped with some sort of cheese food??!!???

Sometimes....Service is efficient but brusque. Servers make sure you have what you need, but leave you alone for the most part.

And then.

Servers are atrociously rude. Servers commit my cardinal sin for servers - They don't serve the tables in the order in which they were ready to order. This is a very simple rule. If the table is ready to order, put their order in before putting in the order of a table that orders after them. It's not hard, I did it consistently when I was a tron. The server dote on the regulars, and ignore the non regulars.

I go back every time that I have forgotten my last negative experience. But usually, I just go across the street.

1  Thank Jacob J
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

The food here, especially the daily specials, burgers, and Chicken McArthur, is GOOD!

This is a hole in the wall/ dive type place that has been on the show, "Drive-ins, Diners and Dives".

This place is small and gets really packed at prime dinner hours, so either come early, late, or prepare to wait- sometimes outside.