“Very good”
Review of Flames 231 - CLOSED

Flames 231
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Pizza, Cafe, Fusion, Wine Bar
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I got a Groupon and came on Valentine's Day for dinner around 8pm. I also asked if they had military discount and got 10% off. The staff was very friendly and attentive, but the wait for the order was horrible. After we sat down, it took about 10-15 minutes to have a chance to order. After ordering, it took another 20 minutes or so to have the appetizers to come. The restaurant was about 90% full.

Melenzane alla Parmigiana - Very tasty and came out hot. The eggplant and the sauce brought out the flavor of each other very well.

Zucchini alla Griglia - Presentation was simple and yet elegant. However, the zucchini came out cold and it would be more delicious if it came out in a higher temperature.

Carpaccio di Pesce Spada - The swordfish was a bit fishy. But the seasoning did bring out the delicious treat of the swordfish. Maybe the swordfish could use a tad more lemon to get rid of the fishiness.

Calamari Fritti - This is the best calamari I have had yet. The seasoning was well balanced and the calamari was fried to perfection.

Fig and Proscuitto pizza - The fig jam complimented the saltiness of the proscuitto and parmigiano. The arugula brought in a different texture contrast to the whole pizza. This combination brought pizza to the next level. The priscuitto was kind of crispy with fresh arugula and parmigiano covering the pizza. I wonder what this would taste like with the arugula and parmigiano being roasted with the pizza. Maybe add them 5-10 minutes before serving the pizza.

Mojito - It took 15 minutes to get our drink. But the mojito was good and could use a tad more alcohol in it.

Chocolate Martini Tiramisu - This came out in a champagne glass. This wrapped out the whole meal well. This dessert was served luke warm. It may be more tasty if served chilled.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I did lunch here: salads and pizza. We both enjoyed our meal. The restaurant is modern and somewhat stark. Our food was very good. An authentic tasting Italian style brick oven pizza. The area surrounding the restaurant is developing and is, in my opinion, somewhat sketchy. You have to park on the street which might mean a modest walk. A good option for a lunch date.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I went to Flames 231 on a living social deal. Parking is just about impossible, and the streets weren't really even crowded. Busy area, not a busy restaurant. I went with my boyfriend and we each ordered a pizza and as an appetizer we got the fococcia bread. It tasted kind of funny and the oregano was burnt. It was served with oil and seasonings. The herbs were sparce. The bread would be better served with the pizza sauce. Anyhow, we both ordered the gourmet pepperoni pizza and ended up taking half of it home. Bigger than expected, a nice surpirse. There was a bucket of sauce on my pizza and about 5 shreds of cheese, but surprisingly it tasted just fine. And the salami-that's-not-pepperoni-on-the-pepperoni-pizza was delicious. Pizzas were $10 each and the Fococcia was $4. $24 plus tax. Well, you would think anyway. The receipt said all the charges were correct, but the total had an unaccounted for $2. Just $2, but weird considering the post below me that indicates they had a strange miscount of money. I don't know. The service was fine. The waitress was flirty. Awkward with your boyfriend there, but that's kind of their job. The food was good and the sauce is heavy on garlic of cracked red pepper, just like i like it. We had an overall good experience. I can't guarantee i'll be back. To sum it up, order the pizza, check your receipt and schedule an extra 5 minutes to find parking.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went there for dinner the other week, our first visit. The food wasn't bad but the entire experience was lacking. I'll give you some tips so hopefully you will have a better time if you choose to try it.

Tip - Thursday is 1/2 wine on selected bottles. We had the Nero Nero for $19. Nice wine.
Tip- check your bill on 1/2 wine night. We were credited $16 when it should've been $19 and we had to ask for it to be rerun.
Tip- don't order a martini. My Cosmo was too sweet and too pink. DH's Bombay Sapphire was ok, Sette makes them better if you want pizza and cocktails.
Tip- if you are ordering an appetizer and a pizza, wait to order the pizza. We ordered the wine and the app and when our waitress came back with the wine, we ordered pizza. Bad call. Our pizza came out first and we had to ask about our appetizer.

Pizza with anchovies was terrific. Crisp crust and nicely fishy. We had the hummus too, as it happened, to finish the meal. It did not come with anything other than pizza bread to use with it and I have been trained by RVA restaurants to expect a mix of vegetables and feta. The hummus was too thin for what I like and the lack of veggies was disappointing. If I ever go back, I won't order this again.

All in all, I liked the pizza and the different combinations offered. If I ever go again it would be just for a bottle of wine and pizza on a Thursday. It just isn't enough to make me go that far off The Hill