“Excellent Bread and goodies”
Review of Subrosa Bakery

Subrosa Bakery
Ranked #3 of 22 Bakeries in Richmond
Reviewed August 14, 2014

What a great little bakery hiding in Church Hill.
The bread is wonderful and the desserts are fantastic.
I've had the chocolate bomb - this is more than enough to share.
The whole wheat cookies are incredible. My son really liked the lamb pasty.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We have been going to this family run bakery and love their offerings. They offer a wood fired bakery that offers delicious chocolate, almond and flavored croissants, tasty quiches and wonderful robust coffee. Their coffee is roasted, I believe by Lamplighters, another local treat. Their Polenta and home breads are outstanding. We have become addicts despite trying to keep it 'low carb' - its not working ;-)

The bakery is run by a brother and sister and is simple and elegant in the Church Hill section, near VCU in Richmond. The bakery was damaged by a fire and has been restored. There was a tremendous outpouring of support for this beloved bakery and crowd funding was provided to help the owners.

Subrosa Bakery can be located at 620 N. 25th Street, Richmond, VA

3  Thank kidzdad
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We picked up some pastries to have for breakfast on Mother's day and these were absolutely incredible. I don't think I've had a croissant that good since I was in Paris. We had some sweet, some savory and all were amazing. I look forward to trying more items. This place is an undiscovered gem. Follow them on Facebook, they sell at lots of farmer's markets and Hardywood and places like that around town if you don't live near Oregon Hill.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

It is so nice to live in a neighborhood that supports local business with full enthusiasm. It makes me proud to live in Church Hill. After a long waiting period for Sub Rosa to reopen their doors, my wish has finally materialized. There is something magical about it, honestly. Whether it's how I'm greeted, always with a smile and a hello or it's the light that shines through the window or it's the aroma of fresh baked goods, Sub Rosa always delivers.

I enjoy coming in for my morning Lamplighter coffee that complements my buttery croissant. I commit a sin every time I eat a chocolate croissant...my derriere knows it. But, I love that I can work that off by walking just a few blocks to indulge myself with a read and a savory prosciutto, arugula, and mozz panini. Lastly, you can bet if you sit in that window seat long enough, you'll be exchanging words with a fellow denizen.

So, if you are looking for a place to sit and relax and feel welcome, then you want to be at Sub Rosa. If you want to satiate your love of baked goods or maybe you want to take a nice Light Rye as your contribution to a friend's dinner, or you want to start your day off right, then Sub Rosa is your milieu.

1  Thank LadyJRVA
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I managed to make it a few times before the fire (they're coming back by Dec '13). This bakery is truly and artisan bakery and worthy of all the accolades that have been given. They grind organic flour in-house and bake their bread. They make gorgeous and delicious croissant that are to die for. They also serve their own blend of Lamplighter coffee and espresso which is so so good. Can't wait till these people get back up and running, miss them!