“Not worth the time”

Miso
Ranked #1,084 of 1,647 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I am just getting back from Miso and the experience was so bad I decided to come straight in and write about it. For starters the place was empty when we walked in. No one came in while we were there either. That is a bad sign to me. A restaurant that has a bar and a TV playing football/baseball on a Sunday and is completely empty around 4pm was a first for me.

We were sat by our server and received our drinks right away. But, the restaurant was empty and if it didn't happen that way I may have left and saved myself. The ambiance of the place seemed fine although it was extremely dark. The lights are very dim and high which means very little light made it to the table. It was weird because the sun was starting to go down and it was bright in the front but, in a completely empty restaurant, we were set in the back which is dark. It is directly across from the sushi bar and that may have been the reason. That wasn't horrible and I would not have dropped the rating for it.

We ordered four rolls. Two came up and were delivered to the table and when the other two arrived they had a sauce on the rolls that wasn't stated on the menu. I asked our server and she had no idea what it was. I'm guessing they don't require the staff to be educated on menu items. It was an eel sauce that I can't eat. Our server consulted with a woman who seemed to be in charge and she asked me about it. It caused a bit of conversation between the server, the manager/head waitress and the chef. I explained to manager/head waitress as well that the menu doesn't state the sauce would be added and had I known, I would have requested it not be added because I know I can't have it. She seemed annoyed that I had a problem with it as if it not being on the menu is no reason for me to request my food be remade. Our server apologized and the chef remade those two rolls. They came out pretty quick as there was no one there save us and the staff.

The first two rolls weren't bad. They were the Philadelphia and the Mind Eraser. The eraser comes plated with a puddle of liquid green salsa on the plate, two slices of tomato on that and the rolls are on those. The tomatoes act as rafts to keep the rolls out of the sauce I guess. It was a bit sloppy and not good for presentation purposes but tasted ok. The Philly was standard with no garnish.

The two tempura rolls were lacking and I guess the eel sauce is where the flavor for those are. They both were bland and had very little taste. I did request no avocado in both and no roe in one. I have never had them so tasteless and bland as those offered at Miso. I asked for the Crystal roll to be spicy and that was missed by the chef. I didn't send it back for that. The rice was cooked okay but it lacked the taste of good sushi rice. It had no vinegar or any other flavor at all. The rice and filling should be good enough to stand alone but that wasn't the case here.

Once we finished eating we sat with empty plates for about 10 minutes as no one came by. Our server was sitting one table away from us and she didn't get up. I tried to gesture for her a few times but she had her head down as if she was on her phone or something more important than the only customers in the restaurant.

When the check was delivered I failed to glance at it. I wish I did. I was blown away when I looked at it after my card was charged. I noticed I was charged $1.00 for no avocado and $1.00 for no roe. I was also charged $1.00 to make my roll spicy and it wasn't. The server wasn't around so I called for the manager or whomever she was as she walked by. I asked her about the charges, she said that's the way the register is set up. I asked her again why was I being charged for items I did not want on the roll. Again she said that's the way the manager set up the cash register. I told her that I didn't order anything extra other than adding spicy sauce to a roll which wasn't done and again she said yes, that's the way the computer was set up. I told her that it does not state anywhere on the menu neither did the server mention that I would be charged because I didn't want everything on the roll that came with it. I told her that she could not charge me for something that they didn't give me the option to op out of. She was visibly upset that I was not happy about the charge, she just said ok, took the pen, circled the charge for the addition of spicy sauce I didn't get and I asked her to add the others as well. She grabbed my card off the table, walked off, came back with another check with the charges removed and dropped it on the table and walked off in a huff. Therefore, it did not have to be that way and she obviously was the manager or someone of that nature that she could make that decision. They are charging people for saving them stock. I do not know if she voided the first charge correctly but I will watch it for a couple of days and if it doesn't drop off I will call my bank and dispute it.

I gave Miso one star because the food was just ok, the issue with the check and the apparent attitude the manager had. As we approached the door I could hear her telling our server about the charge dispute looking upset. As we approached the greeting area (which is by the door) she stopped talking and just looked at us. I could not believe she was actually upset at us as if we did something wrong and was so rude and unprofessional as to be discussing while we were there. I will never enter Miso again and I will tell everyone who asks about sushi in Richmond to stay away from it. This was just horrible.

5  Thank Danie R

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed home this holiday weekend and decided to try a fairly new Asian restaurant. The food was a wonderful surprise. The food ranges from sushi to thai noodles and beyond. We had sushi rolls and seafood drunken noodles. Both were excellent with just the right amount of spice for our tastes. The waiter was really good in helping us choose from the extensive menu. The ambience is quiet and pretty, very contemporary. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Miso is still open, and the company is looking for a new chef for the Richmond location, but the original chef has departed on a family emergency, and his return is uncertain. The existing staff is trying to fill in, but for now, the magic is gone. But keep in touch since they did pretty well when they found the previous chef.

1  Thank Wayne R
Reviewed February 20, 2013

At first glance Miso looks like just another suburban strip-mall Asian place, but in reality it's much more than that. Miso calls itself "Modern Japanese," which means that in addition to the traditional sushi preparation, the chef excercises significant creativity. This results in some suprising and suprisingly good creations. What's more important is that the chef demonstrates a level of skill that you frequently don't see outside of major metro areas or outside of Japan. His cuts are true, his ingredients fresh, and his assembly perfect.

Of course there's more than just sushi. The tempura is light and oil-free and you'll see things like tempura sprouts (which are wonderful) that you don't see other places.

This restaurant is worth a detour.