“A note of caution”
Review of Casa del Barco

Casa del Barco
Reserve with OpenTable
Casa del Barco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 1,606 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Residing in the restored Italianate Building at The Locks on the historic Canal Walk (formerly the Reynolds North Plant), Casa del Barco is Richmond's singular destination for authentic Mexican cuisine. Beverage Director, Michael Avery, has compiled the most extensive stock of tequilas in the region - over 120 varieties to entertain the palate. From rare Anejos to robust Reposados, the selection is sure to impress the novice as well as the most cultivated enthusiast.
Richmond, Virginia
“A note of caution”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My spouse and I recently had dinner here for the first time and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food, service and atmosphere. However, the final bill left us with a bad taste and I'm uncertain that we will return. Initially, when we order two margaritas, the waitress asked about upgrading to the "Cadillac Margarita" and noted it included Grand Marnier, we agreed. The menu had also described this margarita as having Grand Marnier, but did not show a price.
We had a total of three Cadillac Margaritas, but when we got the bill it included a $22.50 additional charge for the Grand Marnier, upgraded Tequila and upgraded Triple Sec. When we complained to the waitress, she claimed this was all part of the Cadillac Margarita, yet neither she nor the menu ever mentioned anything about upgraded Tequila or Triple Sec, let alone the ridiculous charge of $2.50 for each, per drink. They were charging a total of $43.50 for the three drinks. While the waitress quickly made an adjustment to our bill, in my opinion this was a duplicitous, deceptive way to treat customers.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank c s

Mountainside, New Jersey
“Mexican Food in Virginia”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The host staff is better than the wait staff. The reservation desk called several times to tell me of changes to the fireworks. The wait staff took a long time for food and drinks. The menu is typical American Mexican. We all ordered enchiladas but filled with different ingredients. The chicken ones were $21.00 each (which I thought pricey for what it was). The vegetable ones were $13.00. The beer was $5.00/glass. The ceiling is decorated with empty tequila bottles. As you empty one they are supposed to add it. All are on one side of the ceiling - looks a bit tipsy. It's on the canal in a pretty spot.

Virginia
“Good food, poor management experience”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Good food, good drinks, reasonable prices and good portion size. However, this seems obvious, but CHECK YOUR BILL FOR ACCURACY before you pay.

However, very poor management and aspects of service which left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Not good considering it was our first time there and it was clear that the restaurant hasn't been open a while (ex-staff asked how we found the place, was it our first time there, etc.)

We arrived, and they had our reservation and (as indicated on their website) I asked for a parking voucher. The hostess was very courteous and told me she'd have our waitress bring it over to our table as she had to get some more. Great, no problem there. However, we never received it from our waitress and had to ask again for it on our way out.

This next part peeved me quite a bit. We received our bill, and a margarita listed was over double the price that was on the menu. I asked our waitress and she indicated that it was correct and there's only one regular margarita and the higher price was correct, but I insisted because I knew the names of the two that were on the menu from when I ordered. So, willingly, she went inside to go check again. She came back, and said that it was a typo, a misprint, and we were given menus that hadn't been changed and that we had to pay the higher price, and she tried to talk with her manager but he "is really tight about alcohol" and wouldn't change it. I asked to speak with the manager and she said he won't come out but will try and send him out again. Then a few minutes later our waitress came out with a new bill with the published, lower, correct price. Situation solved, but the manager refused to come to our table.

I find it very odd that a manager would refuse to speak with a customer at the request of both the waitress and the customer. This is especially a shock since I saw him walking around to other tables greeting customers.

The food was good, the drinks were good, but the negative ending to our experience will make me think twice about returning.

• Visited July 2014
Anne R, Public Relations Manager at Casa del Barco, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
We apologize that you were unhappy with your experience at Casa Del Barco. Thank you for taking the time to communicate with me via email about the issues you encountered. We have taken the time to followup with the staff member involved. Customer service is very important to us and you did not receive the level of service we expect for our guests.

I hope you will return, and give us a chance to leave you with a better impression of Casa Del Barco.
Anne Roy
“Sangria ,Enchiladas, and relaxed family time”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Sunday afternoon with family....watching FIFA Cup, eating great goat cheese enchiladas and drinking sangria....what a great finish to any weekend!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Casa Del Barco. I am glad you had a great experience, and your family enjoyed watching FIFA on the big screens. We hope to see you again soon.
Virginia
“Yummy!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We enjoyed our first visit to Casa Del Barco while staying at the Richmond Omni. It was a short walk to the restaurant. The atmosphere was very inviting. The margaritas were wonderful, as were the guacamole /chips and the tacos. My husband enjoyed the beef tacos and I ordered the pork tacos. They were both delicious! We will definitely return the next time we stay at the Omni!

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for the great review of Casa Del Barco. I am glad you walked over from the Omni. We hope to see you again the next time you are in RVA..