“Small is Beautiful”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was in Richmond for a visit, and wanted to treat my gracious hosts to a nice dinner. When they informed me about this tiny new restaurant, I was intrigued. Since it only takes reservation if we can be there at 5 pm, we were there on the dot. It is so small that there are only 11 seats at the five tables ( we took the only corner table which seats 3), and six barstools at the bar. My first thought was, how do they manage to stay in business?

The bartender/ waiter was very helpful, and we waited in anticipation. First, we shared an appetizer, ravioli with yellow squash as the stuffing, it was so good that I wanted to dip the bread to soak up the sauce. My guests ordered the Monk fish, and I had Rockfish for our entrees. My Rockfish was the best I had ever in the U.S.: crisp skin outside and tender meat inside, with just the right combination of the flavors; a sophisticated presentation rivals some of the top restaurants in NYC or DC.

Then, we shared a pear crisp for dessert. I had to confess that when it comes to dessert I am a chocoholic and creme brulee fan; but I will convert for this dish, and have the pear crisp all to myself next time when I am in town!

RC from DC

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Small intimate place, great food,good service and good prices. Worth waiting for a table on the weekends. Nice addition to the Museum District

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I almost hate to write such a glowing review because now everyone will know about this hole in the wall and I won't be able to get in. But the owner/chef deserves to grow and be successful. Mushroom soup...best ever with NO CREAM...hurray! full of flavor and interest. Rockfish was spectacular...interesting sauce, fish prepared perfectly. Butternut squash ravioli was fantastic...al dente with a bit of bite, scrumptious filling. Smoked bluefish was excellent, but description didn't mention it as a fish salad...I expected pieces of smoked fish. Still, I'm not complaining. We were so full that two of us opted not to order dessert, thinking we'd pick of the third person's stacked chocolate dessert...NOT!...within seconds there wasn't a morsel left. The french pressed coffee was the best I've had in Virginia...what beans are they using? I want some! In addition to our server, the chef came out to see how things were...and they were terrific! The jazz absolutely enhanced the evening.
OK, here's why I didn't give it 6 stars (besides the obvious)... it's noisy and the tables are close together and very few. Once word gets out, it will be an impossible situation. Already, we saw several folks come and leave because there were no tables.