“Average at best”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Average at best”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I expected a lot more from this place. I have tried this place few weeks back , the food wasn't really bad, but service and drinks were really nothing impressive. At least for the food will give another try.

• Visited January 2013

culpeper
“enjoyed dinner and atmosphere”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Ate at Heritage after seeing Mary Poppins at the Landmark Theater. The atmosphere was intimate, but noisy when full. Our server, Kate, was very knowledgeable and helpful. The butternut squash soup was presented well, but lacked any interesting flavor. My husband and I both had the tilefish and it was very good with a raisen sauce and quino/spinach puree. We were very pleased. The cheesecake was served in an unusual way, which was fine, but was lacking in taste. We will probably try again when in Richmond.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice place, but no taste!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I went to Heritage last night with a group of eight coworkers including several from out of town, which was the reason that we made the trip down to the fan to show them around. We arrived promptly at 6:30 and commenced with ordering wine and appetizers for the table. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable, and the wine list reasonably priced.

This restaurant is in the same building that Six Burner was, which was one of our favorites! So, admittedly, my expectations were high in that Six Burner never failed when it came to unique menu items and great taste combinations.

The menu was appropriately eclectic, in line with many of the fan district's unique eateries. So my interest and appetite was piqued. We sampled as shared the pork "fries", shrimp crackers, pimento croquettes and the slow cooked egg...the star of these were the pork "fries", which are made up of shredded pork that is formed, lightly battered and fried...what could be bad???

Unfortunately, the pimento croquettes lacked any flavor at all, resembling more like a soggy hush-puppy when it came to taste...not even a hint of pimento cheese! The shrimp crackers are interesting but uneventful and the slow cooked egg was lacking any unique flavoring even though the menu described it as "pheasant confit, truffle cream, mushroom, aged pecorino, herbs".

Well, that was it for the small plates...on to the medium plates! We had a couple of orders of the bourbon barrel smoked pork belly, which were appreciated by those that tried them. I had the Rappahannock river oysters gratin (a la Rockefeller, spinach, "our" bacon), which were relatively tasteless...I couldn't even taste the bacon!!!

When it came to ordering entrees, it seemed like the table took our servers recommendations to heart with 4-5 orders of the half chicken and the same number of vegetable risotto. Which were both the server's favorites!

The half chicken is boneless served with Brussels’ sprouts, bacon, shallot, cheddar grits was completely without flavor. If you are a fan of boiled chicken, you might enjoy it. But for $16, I was left asking for salt and pepper in an effort to improve the taste of everything on my plate. Please understand that I am not saying that the food was bad. It just lacked any originality or flavor.

I was able to taste the risotto (cippolini onion, Brussels sprouts, squash, mushroom, carrot), which again was uninspired (even with the addition of truffles), sticky and overcooked.

I know that this review appears contrary to some of the others that I have seen for the same restaurant, but it was shared by everyone at our table. So, try it and prove me wrong. I know I will not be revisiting with the number of better choices on the Richmond dining scene.

1 Thank Byk42
Richmond, Va
“Loved it!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I had been wanting to try this place since I had first heard it replaced six burners. The service was awesome, with full knowledge and great suggestions. We went when it was snowing during the middle of the week and the place still filled up. The decor is classic with the Richmond Fan district and did get a little noisy once I filled up, that never bothers me but I know some people might get annoyed. We orders a couple appetizers and a few small plates than two desserts. We loved it all! The presentation and flavor combinations we exciting and delightfully done. I look forward to going back.

Richmond, Virginia, United States
“You need a reservation”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

And even then you are going to wait. There is no real "holding pen" when you get there so people end up hanging in the doorway just waiting to be noticed. The place itself is cramped and loud, which I guess is a result of their own popularity.

Food, once it finally arrives, is very good. The shrimp chips are light and airy and the fish dip is a revelation. Skip the cheese plate, it is skimpy and overpriced. The 1/2 a chicken is everything you want, crispy skin, moist bird, and would've earned this place another star if the service had lived up to the food. We ordered two bottles of wine but glasses frequently went empty while our waiter was consumed with other tables or just missing. If you are not going to be around, leave the bottle on the table and we can pour it ourselves.

Maybe in a few months, this will calm down and the experience will match the food, but for now, there are other places I'd go back to first.