“Good meal”

Fat Dragon Chinese Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #61 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Recently my wife and I went to the Fat Dragon for dinner with friends. It is a very convenient location right across the street from a movie cineplex. The interior design was somewhat minimal though there was some interesting wall art and artifacts. Interesting menu with lots of fish items which is a problem for my wife. We found a nice alternative on the menu. Our service indicated that it was pretty spicy so we asked to get a milder version. It was really tasty and certainly enough for the two of us to share. It was, however, still more spicy than I like. However, I really enjoyed the flavors and texture in spite of this. The server was very attentive and helpful. It was a bit noisy. We were lucky however because we were seated in an area where there was less noise than in the main room. All in all, it was a good experience. and we can recommend it to our friends, and we hope to go back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stopped in for some apps and brews before a Flying Squirrels game. The servers were very knowledgeable and made great recommendations for the varying tastes at the table. Firecracker Shrimp and Calamari were wonderful. Because it rained at game start time, we were able to get in an extra round. Cannot wait to go again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The drinks were great, inventive creations and certainly not skimping on the alcohol. Everything else was pretty ho-hum, just lightly seasoned and pretty bland. Our egg rolls were really small, just four bites from the 2-roll appetizer, but the calamari appetizer had plenty to go around for our group of four. All the entree portions were very large. There aren’t many spicy choices on the menu; I ordered the beef as recommended when I asked for a spicy dish, and it was very disappointing. I even tried eating the red peppers (which I usually avoid because they are so hot) and they were just flavorless. Atmosphere is a downtown, after-work drinks feel, very down to earth. If you like mild Chinese food, this might be the place for you.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

When we decided to try this new restaurant, I was a little worried that Chinese food might not fill me up. Wrong! I had a beef and asparagus concoction that came with a side of rice, and it was very satisfying. My husband had ahi tuna "with" wasabi over salad greens. The wasabi was not a side and it was very generously slathered around. His tuna was fantastic, but he couldn't finish all the greens because his mouth was on fire. I ate a few greens from his plate and began to sweat. Delicious, but way too much wasabi.
The decor and the ambiance is wonderful; service was fast and friendly; the drink offerings were varied and carefully considered. All in all, it was a very pleasant experience. Two beers, a glass of prosecco, one soup and two entrees before tip came to $60.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have been just once on a Thursday evening and the food was marvelous. The presentation was as superb as the food itself. We had an excellent waiter who despite having a very trying evening with a group at the bar there for an event, was attentive, very knowledgeable about the recommendations etc.
We can't wait to return on an evening that isn't being over-run by inconsiderate guests so we can enjoy the atmosphere as well as we enjoyed the food.