“Great place for this vegetarian with lots of options”

The Mill on MacArthur
Ranked #123 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Contemporary, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is a great resturant with lots of options for both vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
The atmosphere is delightful and the service could not have been better.
Get there early this place fills up at lunchtime.

1  Thank lauthehut

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Really enjoyed this place. The menu is diverse enough to have something for everyone - gluten free, vegetarian, standard meat and potatoes, diners who like a beer, those who want an interesting new foodie spin on a mixed drink - they have it all. The prices are reasonable, and at least part of the components (such as gluten free bread and fresh sorbet) come from local vendors. Service was good and the atmosphere was welcoming, with just enough noise that a group can enjoy conversation without feeling on display, but not so much that you can't hear each other. Parking was plentiful despite not having a dedicated lot. Definitely plan to return and would readily recommend it to others looking for a casual, tasty meal.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Prior to attending my son's orientation at VCU, I decided to use Trip Advisor to find a just the right restaurant to go to after the first day--a place where I could dine alone and where I would not feel out of place as a non-Richmond person. The other reviews of The Mill suggested that it would be my kind of place.

I easily found my way thanks to the Maps feature on my phone. As I drove there, I kept waiting for a more commercial district to appear, but it did not. The restaurant is indeed, as another reviewer put it, "tucked away," which makes it indeed feel like a neighborhood restaurant because you certainly wouldn't happen upon it just driving around.

The night was muggy and rainy, so I was a bit disconcerted to see no obvious place to park near the restaurant, so I circled around the block, parked on Nottoway, then walked a short distance to the restaurant. The seating is limited, but I was willing to eat near the bar, so I was seated right away. A larger party waited quite awhile because of their number, but they didn't seem to mind. (If your party is more than eight, it might be a bit tricky to eat there.)

I had decided before ordering that I wanted dessert, so I wanted something on the lighter side, which meant avoiding pasta or rice dishes. I decided to get the Kickin Chicken sandwich and opted for a side salad instead of chips for an extra two dollars. The amount of food was just right and quite savory with the focacca bread, grilled chicken, and Cajun rémoulade. I asked for no gouda, which was not a problem. The side salad was flavorful with the roasted red peppers.

I'm glad I saved room for the mixed berry tart--a light but rich combination of the fruit, glaze and moist crust with a dollop of cream on the side. I asked if fresh decaf was made, and the waitress said she'd make a new pot, which I appreciated (as stale coffee is not worth having).

With the rainy weather, the restaurant had a very homey feel. I did not feel rushed even though I was dining alone. Those persons who are sensitive to noise may not enjoy the place as it was a bit noisy; however, to me the sounds evoked happy gatherings of friends and family, so I did not mind. I look forward to returning with my family.

1  Thank pgseitz
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were meeting friends for dinner and wanted someplace on Northside. This was a happy and delicious choice. Good beer choices and every one of us was happy with their meal. Two of us chose the meatloaf and were very pleased. I enjoyed one of the specials- a chicken, shrimp and sausage gumbo served over rice. These three choices came with a small house salad that was very fresh. The tofu walnut burger was chosen by the other diner and it to was deemed yummy. We had cookies for dessert. This is a very cute restaurant with a friendly and helpful staff. A great choice for a casual, fun meal.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place is a fine little gem tucked away in the Bellevue area of Northside area of Richmond. It's small, seating is limited during peak hours but it's well worth the wait. Alot of veggie and gluten free options and locally grown ingredients. Great specials throughout the week as well. A nice little bar with alot of brew and alcohol options. The staff is very accomodating and freindly, they make great suggestions too. It is open for brunch on Saturday and Sunday, big menu for that as well. Give it a try, you'll be glad you did.

1  Thank Lorain B