“Great service!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
“Great service!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We made last minute reservations for 2 couples with no problem. I left a message requesting a reservation and never heard back from them, but found they were on opentable.com so made the reservation online. The restaurant is bright and open with lots of windows and is located on the corner of a very busy area of town and situated right across the street from the Carpenter Center. Parking was tough as all parking decks were full and we had to circle a few blocks 3 times before a spot opened. The menu is limited with a handful of starters, about 10 entrees and a handful of desserts. We had the bruschetta, pot stickers and the fondue for starters. The fondue was excellent with the hot baked bread that you had to request separately...I did not like the toast points that came with them, they were too heavy. We had the filet mignon, ahi tuna and scallops. Both orders of filet were cooked well done, and charred on the edges when we had ordered them medium rare. The restaurant manager was very attentive throughout the night and immediately apologized once we pointed this out and brought us new steaks which were still overcooked, but more like medium so we made it work. The tuna and scallops were excellent. We ordered the carrot cake and bread pudding for dessert. The bread pudding was outstanding. I was not a fan of the carrot cake which I usually like. The wine menu was just ok, so we elected to have mixed drinks and beer. Everyone liked the mixed drinks....Apartment 103 and the Whipped Frenchmen. While I felt the restaurant was nice and would return, 2 of the foodies in our party felt it was just ok. The service was undoubtedly the highlight. Our waitress was very knowledgable of the menu and had great recommendations, and the manager was making regular rounds of the restaurant. I would recommend this place.

Visited January 2014

Richmond, VA
“Why did we wait so long to try this place!?”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

An excellent first dinner here with another couple on a Thursday night, and all of us loved the experience. Interesting and varied menu and wine list, terrific service, great space and view of the city, and the food was delicious. We had the butternut squash fondue and bruschetta as appetizers, Caesar and field green salads, and the salmon, stuffed quail, pork ribeye and filet mignon for entrees, and all were excellent. The full plate portions are huge, but most entrees have a half-plate option. The bourbon and pecan bread pudding and key lime pie were the perfect finish to a wonderful meal. As an added benefit, we found a Groupon online that saved us $66. We didn't patronize the bar, but it looks like a great spot to gather if you find yourself downtown after hours.

• Visited January 2014
“tried hard to like it”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

525 is right near my office where there is a lack of good restaurants so I've given it more than it's fair shots. The dining room is elegant. The wait staff competent. The menu is very limited though. This perplexes me. Generally the menu is very rich & meat heavy. I hoped their salads would be worthwhile but on every occasion they are bland. In one case inexplicably salty. They tend to give inadequate & Innapropriate breads for their dips. Their sandwhiches fall apart, which makes business lunches awkward. Unfortunately I just can't find anything I enjoy eating there even though it's location & vibe make it a tempting choice.

“Great appetizers”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

7 of us had appetizers before a tacky lights tour. Time was tight, so we ordered ahead, and everything was served right on time. Great dips, spreads, pot stickers, sliders, etc. Great food and exceptional service.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always a pleasant experience”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have dined here with my wife at least six times. The food is always a treat, the waitstaff are always pleasant, and the convenience to the Carpenter Center can't be any better. We have repeatedly 'strayed' to other restaurants in the area, but always seem drawn back to here. Consistency counts, and this restaurant has never disappointed us. The relaxed upscale environment created by the folks who work here is like icing-on-the-cake.

RSD