“Awesome BBQ in VA”

Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue
Ranked #9 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: While Buz has been dishing real barbecue in Richmond since 1992, our first brick-and-mortar location on Boulevard opened in 1995. We've also had the honor and privilege of being featured on some of television's top food shows. We are thankful to our loyal fan base that keeps coming back year-after-year. We opened our Broad St. location in 2012 and we look forward to bringing the same barbecue tradition to the West End.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Awesome BBQ in VA”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

It's hard to live in VA and search for BBQ after having lived in Texas for so long. Especially when you're close to Austin and San Antonio. I know proper brisket, I love proper brisket and this is proper brisket. The Pulled Pork was excellent as well and the cole slaw, hush puppies and fried okra, well all I can say was "shut my mouth." Sat at the bar, where you get full service and had a cold one. If you want to stand in line and order - you can. Then pick out your table and the friendly wait staff will bring you your food. They have a small store (not really a store) just a section where they sell some "stuff" but I can say, this is a true find and I look forward to hanging out again soon!

rvc
“Proper BBQ”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a true rib joint with simple outdoor tables and an interior area with plenty of color. The pulled pork was mouth watering and the glazed chicken sticks were beyond juicy and succulent.

Arlington, Virginia
“The RIBS are Seriously AWESOME!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Wow, seriously awesome ribs! We love BBQ, so had to try Buz and Ned's after hearing about it from friends. VERY glad we did! We could have sat there all afternoon eating ribs... Everything we had was great -- the potato salad, baked beans, onion and cucumber salad and the coleslaw, which was not too sweet. There were a bunch of families with little kids there too. Something on the menu for everyone. Staff was nice, service was fast. We will go back any time we're in Richmond.

New York
“This is Barbecue Art”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Some things are just meant to be, and for us it was a visit to Buz and Ned’s Real Barbecue in Richmond, Virginia. If you watch the Travel Channel, you know about the Barbecue Crawl. Rob and I do our own when we travel, and I’ve written on Third Age Traveler about many different delicious barbecue places we’ve encountered. If the place is really up to snuff, it is filled with locals we let get ahead of us on line as we try to make sense out of the menu and watch what other people are ordering. It’s a mad game. It’s never the same, and if we play it well, our taste buds get the rewards. Barbecue is an art practiced by very individual artists.

Our encounter with Buz and Ned’s actually began as a takeout. We were heading to Richmond to visit my cousins Rita and Bruce in Richmond, VA, and knowing our penchant for barbecue, Rita said she’d bring in takeout barbecue when we arrived. As we sat eating the different BBQ offerings, we learned they came from Buz and Ned’s, Rita and Bruce’s favorite BBQ takeout.

The name apparently lodged like a little bubble in my brain for several days later when we and our son Michael headed for the Movieland Cinema, we passed Buz and Ned’s. (Get image from google) and mentioned to Michael that we’d had glorious BBQ takeout from there. He told us he had heard great things about Buz and Ned’s barbecue from Richmond friends but thus far had not gotten over here.

Voilà! The next day the three of us headed to Buz and Ned’s for lunch.

Buz and Ned’s was crowded! Line up, place your order at the window, receive a number and wait until you’re called. Simple if you know what you’re doing. The menu is long and tempting, and we let quite a few people get ahead of us on line as we tried to choose.

Eat any size portion from appetizer size to small meals, to large meals, to full racks of ribs. Choose from 14 different sides. Dozens of beverages from fresh squeezed lemonade to single barrel bourbons! What makes choosing more difficult is that everything that passed by us looked great!

Amazingly, if you REALLY yearned for it, you could buy Nathan’s hotdogs! You could also choose as a side our very favorite, Route 11 Potato Chips! So I also count Buz and Ned’s as a gourmet restaurant!!!!!

We three went for the SMALL complete meal (one sandwich as opposed to the Large’s two sandwiches). These sandwiches were stuffed! We tried the pulled pork and the beef brisket. Each meal also included a choice of two sides like my two: hush puppies and baked beans. There were also Cinnamon Bourbon Apples (sounded very tempting), Cuke & Onion Salad, and the usual-sounding but not necessarily usual cole slaw, potato salad, and french fries. If these choices were not already overwhelming, for an additional $.99 we could choose Fresh Country Greens, Mac and 3 cheeses, Sweet Potato Fries (w/cinnamon and sugar) or some other tantalizing possibilities.

We drank beer and did not try Buz and Ned’s Hard Lemonade.

The general opinion: Buz and Ned’s deserves its reputation. Had our visit to Richmond been longer, we would have returned to work on the rib menu—both pork and beef. I wonder if Buz and Ned’s ever sells its desserts. I don’t know how anyone could have room left!

Visit the website. You’ll find out that yes, Ned is dead, but he left his barbecue secrets to Buz to pass down for us to enjoy. The history is interesting, and it’s a good website to browse. But honestly, eating here is believing.

• Visited June 2013
foothills of N.C.
“Point on!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I researched this place months before coming to Richmond & was not disappointed. Known for there spare ribs is exactly what I went for, the BEST I've had! I am from NC & never had anything close these ribs. They have a great flavor, point on and fall off with a little pull. Looking forward to the next time I visit the Richmond area.

Visited August 2013