“It would be good, but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Balliceaux

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Balliceaux
Ranked #601 of 1,602 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: very hip, interesting and edgy menu, a bit snooty, but excellent food.
Richmond, Virginia
“It would be good, but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I'm not really sure how the food was - my party of four went on a Saturday evening, without a reservation, and it was CROWDED. The food must be halfway good because it stayed packed the entire time. The hostess did the best she could to accommodate us, but the "30 minute wait" turned into about an hour and a half. Once we got seated, we were only spoken to once in about 20 minutes and our order was never taken before we decided to leave. I noticed that none of the patrons in the restaurant were really eating, so I'm unsure if the kitchen was just backed up - or couldn't handle the rush. I might try this place again because I have heard good things, but I won't go in there without an expectation of at least two hour wait. I'm frustrated because I think it would be good but the wait just wasn't worth it.

• Visited June 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“Neighborhood Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Balliceaux with its unique and interesting menu and adult beverages is a great place for dinner with friends and dates. I often get the fish or scallops special and am never disappointed. The service can be inconsistent (slow and seemingly disinterested sometimes and just right others) but I keep going back. Late at night, live music is available in the back.

Visited October 2013
Munich
“Indifferent”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I think the owners have to decide if they want to be a Restaurant or a bar. As a bar they are ok, as a Restaurant they are not to be recommended. We were a large party (12) and when it came time to pay, were informed that they could not do checks seperately or split them between the couples. This is not a mom and pop hamburger place, the prices are upscale. For that they should do what a customer requests. I spoke with the Manager (offering some praise), he seemed fairly indifferent.
At any rate, will not go back, too many other good places to go.

• Visited August 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice place to hang out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Did not come to dine but got a chance to listen a band and hang out with friends. The back room is small and the sound quality was a bit low (I think that's not a knock on the establishment). Drink service was acceptable and everyone had a good time. Would like to try again during meal service to try out the food.

• Visited March 2013
Ashland, Virginia
“Excellent food, trendy setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We had a very good experience at Balliceaux last Saturday evening. We ate early and avoided a rush at 6pm. Service was average, but we enjoyed an excellent cheese plate appetizer and my jumbo shrimp entree was very good. Nice beer selection with some local options. The atmosphere seemed trendy with fun attention to detail in the wall flowers. It is a tight fit into the narrow booths and the noise can get high with the crowd, but we enjoyed ourselves and will return for special occasions.

1 Thank timwm_3

Been to Balliceaux? Share your experiences!