Book In Advance
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Richmond
from $65.00
from $16.58
from $80.00
More Info
All reviews patrick henry re enactment declaration of independence gave his famous speech patriotic music founding fathers american history gift shop period costume stained glass our tour guide historic place buried here piece of history love history visiting richmond visitor center
Reviewed February 5, 2017

Not everything is Civil War in Richmond. St. John's is the site of the 1775 immortal words of Patrick Henry: Give me liberty or give me death. This is the oldest wooden church in Virginia

Date of experience: January 2017
2  Thank Chinapjs
a2swartz, Public Relations Manager at St. John's Episcopal Church, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2018

Reviewed January 31, 2017

Famous as the location where Patrick Henry gave his memorable speech at the Second Virginia Convention, closing with the often-quoted demand, "give me liberty, or give me death!"

George Wythe, the first law professor in the United States, a delegate to the Continental Congress and signer of the Declaration of Independence, is buried in the churchyard. Elizabeth Arnold Poe, mother of author Edgar Allan Poe, is buried in the churchyard. Her exact burial spot is unknown, but a memorial marks the general area.

Date of experience: August 2016
2  Thank Mark Y

Reviewed January 30, 2017

We Quick stopped here with a bus group recently. We knew it was a very historical Church, and that this was the site of Patrick Henry's famous speech, Give me Liberty or give me Death. We also learned Edgar Allen Poe's mother is buried here as well as many historic people. Our guest reenactor, living history speaker, was really good, after his bit we visited the gift shop and walked around and took some pics, Definitely worth a stop

Date of experience: September 2016
1  Thank jefferyp2017

Reviewed January 26, 2017

My boyfriend and I visited Richmond for a convention I attended for work. He mentioned that we must visit St John's, site of the historical Patrick Henry speech, "......Give me Liberty, or give me death!"
I had remembered the speech from history class when I was younger. I was very pleased that I would actually have this opportunity to see personally this milestone in our country's path to democracy.
I was not disappointed!
I was floored at the emotion I felt when I walked onto the grounds, and witnessing firsthand this rich part of our nations heritage!
The gravestones, the grounds, the Church itself, had an energy that could be felt so much so, it is beyond description, and simply must be experienced if ever there is ever an opportunity!

When we approached the Church, I was crestfallen at the thought of not being able to see the Church from within, as once we tried the door, it was locked!! A tour had just gone underway, and the tour guide noticed me cupping my hands to the window, in me effort to view what I could. Bless his kind heart. This man took heart, and without but a few moments interruption, he opened the door, locking it to quickly resume the tour and talk with the group of people assembled inside. I was mesmerized! The emotion that flooded over me as I became an awestruck little girl, gazing around me at the rich and historical surroundings! I listened to the information relayed to us by the well informed and well-spoken guide. I am so fortunate to have had this opportunity!
You just don't know what you are missing unless you go. THEN you'll understand for yourself what I describe.
The gift shop was stocked with mementos to take home as reminders of your visit. I don't typically do the "gift shop thing", but was compelled to do so. Friendly staff, and for a gift shop, the prices were actually reasonable. Its a good cause anyway, right?

Please don't let this stop pass by without taking the unparalleled opportunity to immerse you and yours in the experience of St John's! Worth going out of your way for, if that is necessary. You won't regret it!

Date of experience: November 2016
1  Thank Jennifer R

Reviewed January 9, 2017

A very beautiful and historic church located in the Church Hill section of Richmond. Site of Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death" speech before the American Revolution. Well worth the visit. Check the web for times of availability.

Date of experience: December 2016