“Where History Comes Alive”

St. John's Episcopal Church
Church Hill Segway Tour in Richmond
Ranked #6 of 190 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Historic St. John's Church - where Patrick Henry gave his 'give me liberty or give me death' speech. Tours offered daily, every 30 minutes. Summer Liberty or Death Reenactment Series every Sunday from Memorial Day through Labor Day. 2 special reenactments on Independence Day. Fancy Me Mad - Graveyard Spirits and Tales from Poe every October. We are closed to the public the month of January.
Reviewed August 23, 2016 via mobile

St. John's Church, founded in 1741, is a beautiful, historic church with grounds that overlook the beautiful city of Richmond. This site was also where Patrick Henry gave his "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech. While I am a red blooded American, I always thought that this was a good line said by a politician that was picked up by the papers. I guess over the last couple of decades, I have become a little jaded. This portion of my historical knowledge was about to be given some context.

Sundays, during at least part of the summer, St. John's Church puts on a reenactment of this speech. The cost is 5$ and a friend convicted me to since role play really isn't my thing. As I sat in the Church, where the speech was made, in the pews where the participants of that meeting would have heard the speech, and next to an actor in complete garb, I started to get into it. Henry starts with wanting to form a militia. Pendleton who scared the bajeezus out of me when he started interrupting Henry rather loudly, retorted his requests, and was joined by others. The Kings ministers are evil, not the King. This will be ok if we just wait. We do not want conflict with our King. We are not prepared. Finally, Patrick kind of loses it, 18th Century style, and goes through everything they have done to solve the issue peaceably. He then goes into while his detractors want to avoid a war, there are troop laden ships in American harbors. America faces no outward threat - those troops are here for us. The war had already started. I am not even close to giving this play justice because by the end of it I am ready to go to war too. Sorry Nan.

Definitely worth a visit. Check this out - it is definitely worth it. I have attached photos of the Church, some of the actors in the yard, and the words of Henry from the park across the street.

2  Thank Anthony P
"love history"
"visiting richmond"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 22, 2016

The reenactment of Patrick Henry's speech and preceding discussion/arguments was superb and made history REAL. Would definitely recommend this to all, probably over the head of young children but interesting for older teens and adults.

1  Thank Susan F
Reviewed August 15, 2016

It was amazing to be sitting in a building....a church...that had such impact on American History! First of all the church is well over 200 years old....that would make it important for me to visit in the first place. The cemetery was incredibly old and interesting. The reenactment that we stumbled upon....reenacting Patrick Henry's famous speech "Give me liberty or give me death" was superb!

Reviewed August 13, 2016

if you are in Richmond, you have to go to St. John's. The reenactments are wonderful. It give you chills to hear the speeches and to have history come to life. The tour of the church is very informative. If you have time, attend a service- especially lovely at night.

1  Thank Micky O