“HIstory, history, history”

Church Hill Segway Tour in Richmond
Ranked #7 of 185 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Historic St. John's Church - where Patrick Henry gave his 'give me liberty or give me death' speech. We are closed to the public the month of January.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Small church in an old historic section of Richmond. It would be a most forgotten building had Patrick Henry not given his "Give me liberty, or give me death! " speech! So...go see it...USA needs some history to ground itself as we learn who we arei as a nation. And this is IT!!!

1  Thank Irongate69
"visiting richmond"
"liberty"
in 135 reviews

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was my second visit to this performance and I will go back again. You'll be sitting behind George Washington, next to Thomas Jefferson, behind Lighthorse Harry Lee, and near Patrick Henry. Your kids will be delegates and able to meet the Patriots after the event. No wonder this has been performed for 30 years. It's great entertainment.

1  Thank bronsonjm
Reviewed June 21, 2013

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Arguably, these are the most famous words of the American Revolutionary War time-frame, but many Americans would be unable to identify where they were spoken. St John's Episcopal Church, one of Richmond's most historic gems, hosted the Virginia Convention in 1775 when Patrick Henry delivered this impassioned speech.

We visited the church on Easter Sunday of April 2012 (TA won't let me select that far back). The grounds are beautiful, and you can see the burial markers for George Wythe (signer of the Declaration of Independence) and Elizabeth Arnold Poe (Edgar Allan Poe's mother). The grounds are truly an oasis - be sure to get a tour of the church and try to be around for one of their reenactments of Patrick Henry's speech!

1  Thank SvenskaSvea1987
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is a lovely historic church made famous by Patrick Henry and his "Liberty or Death" speech. It's also the grave site of George Wythe, the first Virginian to sign the Declaration of Independence and Jefferson and Marshall's law professor

See more reviews
Reviewed June 1, 2013

What a great place. Anyone who likes American history must go see the "give me liberty or give death" re-enactment. Even beyond this audience interactive re-enactment, the church itself is just amazing. Beautiful stain glass, old church yard in a pretty cool area of Richmond.

Done the re-enactment a couple of times and typically just walk around this oasis in the city when I am near.

Get there early especially during weekends for a tour. The re-enactment is a separate event and only occurs on Sunday's in the summer. The tours have fees, the re-enactment is free but donations are requested.