“The "gastro-pub" comes to Richmond...”
Review of Mint New Casual Cuisine - CLOSED

Mint New Casual Cuisine
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Richmond has a lot of "casual" eateries, disguised as actual restaurants, most of them forgettable. Burgers... fries... grits... chile... sawdust crab cakes... gloppy deep fried stuff masquerading as edible cuisine. But Mint aspires to something better. Owned by the guys who established "Julep," an up market, local temple of southern cuisine (think "Husk" in Charleston), Mint strives to take Julep's food quality to a broader, somewhat less affluent audience, in a lively diverse neighborhood, mostly populated by lots of down scale, VCU college joints. And they pretty much succeed. I've been there for both brunch and evening dinner with friends, and both occasions have been very pleasant.

First the food quality. A real cut above for the neighborhood, in fact quite good by any measure. Innovative omelets, passable holandaise on the eggs Benedict, a small but nice selection of southern pork, seafood (crab cakes) and casual sandwich items, and the best cheese grits I've had in a long time. Maybe ever.

And the place is nice. Not too up town, but just right... just enough polish to tell you you're in a restaurant, not a "joint." And everything seems to be priced fairly. Again, high enough to keep out the "cut-offs" crowd, but reasonable enough to deliver nicely on the quality/value scale.

In London, places like Mint are called, "gastro pubs." I think MInt delivers comfortablly on both fronts... "gastro" and "pub."

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Recently I visited Richmond for a friends graduation and we all decided to eat Brunch at Mint. We had a large party and were promptly seated upon arrival. Everything on the menu looked great and it was hard for me to choose what to eat. I decided to split two dishes with a friend. We ordered the Breakfast Sliders & The Farmhouse Burger. Both dishes were very tasty! The burger was cooked perfectly and the bacon on top of the breakfast sliders was a perfect touch. I also ordered their signature brunch drink that was a delight. The best part of the meal was the BACON WRAPPED DATES & PECANS! Can I just say this had to be one of the most amazing dishes I have ever had. All the favors and textures were amazing and the fact that it was served with Chipotle butter just put it over the top. WOW! Our server had some great recommendations and she provided great service. And they gave us two complimentary orders of pickle chips which were awesome. Thanks Mint for providing a great meal to end our weekend.

1  Thank sayjul