“Elegant and Comprehensive”

and up
Richmond's City Center Bike Tour
Ranked #1 of 185 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: VMFA Arts is a top comprehensive US art museum with more than 5,000 years of art from around the world. VMFA is open 365 days a year and general admission is always free. The Wall Street Journal recently stated that VMFA is now a "two day museum."
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This museum is truly a gem. We will come back! Our reconnaissance visit focused on the Paul Mellon collection, the Art Nouveau and the Art Deco collections. There's much more to see for sure.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,577)
All reviews
in 113 reviews
"special events"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We were late in the evening so we just squeezed in a few exhibits which were awesome. Nice flow to galleries. There were two restaurants on site that were full of students and locals, it looked like a great spot to meet your friends. I would like to return soon when I have more time. Gift shop features some local artisans work.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The new Museum of Fine Arts is absolutely wonderful! It offers alot more art and ancient artifacts. Also, you can see special collections like the last one we saw was from India. It was the first time we saw the ancient dress of a Maharaja. And, it is huge! Be prepared to walk alot, but if you have a problem, they do provide rider carts and wheelchairs. Also, plan on staying a while, there is so much to see that you won't be leaving too quickly. This museum is considered one of the best in the country and I certainly do agree. So, if you like artwork or are interested in ancient artifacts, then this is the museum for you. By the way, it is free except for the special collections.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Fabulous building, exceptional cafe and brilliant exhibits all managed by friendly and knowledgeable staff.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Dinner at Amuse was the most delicious dinner I've had in Richmond to date. We had 3 courses and each one was incredible. The service was wonderful, the wine was good, the atmosphere was just what we were looking for - quiet and inviting. There were 5 of us at dinner and we had a chance to sample many items. The mussels and fried oysters were each the best I'd had and I'm from New England and no stranger to delicious shellfish. My grilled fish was light and flaky. Everyone enjoyed their dinner, although my friend who had the rare tuna was ill then next day. I was very sorry about that, as we really did have an amazing dinner and experience. I will absolutely go back, although he may not.

1  Thank Sara E

Been to Virginia Museum of Fine Arts? Share your experiences!