“Go while the Chihully exhibit is in town!”

Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
Book In Advance
More Info
$40.00*
and up
Richmond's City Center Bike Tour
Ranked #1 of 180 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: VMFA Arts is a top comprehensive US art museum with more than 5,000 years of art from around the world. VMFA is open 365 days a year and general admission is always free. The Wall Street Journal recently stated that VMFA is now a "two day museum."
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Went for the Chihully exhibit, which was AMAZING! Each installation was different and piercing. Each of the four people in our group was impacted.

1  Thank mdickson
Write a ReviewReviews (2,369)

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Richmond is steeped in history, and there are lots of wonderful places to go if you want to delve into the Civil War, but for my money the cultural jewel in Richmond's crown is the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. We attracted to the VMFA by an announcement on the Chihuly Exhibit (the exhibit, runs thru Feb 10, 2013), but once we got there we found so much more to explore. Their permanent collections of American Art, Art Deco and Art Nouveau decorative arts and Arts and Crafts furniture had us charmed. We'll be back the next time we are in town to visit the other galleries.

1  Thank ParktonRita
Reviewed December 20, 2012

A world class museum right here in Richmond. Closed for well over a year for renovation and new additions. You will love this place. A must see for Richmond sightseeing. Very good restaurant in house as well.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

My first visit yesterday was prompted by VMFA's current display of beautiful glass works of Chiluly. Upon finishing that, I visited most of the more permanent exhibits, including works in many media, diverse parts of the world, and ranging from ancient Egyptian times to the present. A very nice way to spend the day.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was not prepared for how large the building was on my walk to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. There is a great amount of things to see inside. My favorite part of the day was sitting on the patio and having a drink. The prices (to my surprise) were reasonable and the workers were pleasant while having a sense of humor. It was a relaxing day and I would love to return to see the things that I did not have time to look at. I would like to go during the times that the education center is open.