“Cultural Highlight of our trip to Richmond” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 159 things to do in Richmond
Parkton, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Cultural Highlight of our trip to Richmond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Richmond is steeped in history, and there are lots of wonderful places to go if you want to delve into the Civil War, but for my money the cultural jewel in Richmond's crown is the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. We attracted to the VMFA by an announcement on the Chihuly Exhibit (the exhibit, runs thru Feb 10, 2013), but once we got there we found so much more to explore. Their permanent collections of American Art, Art Deco and Art Nouveau decorative arts and Arts and Crafts furniture had us charmed. We'll be back the next time we are in town to visit the other galleries.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank ParktonRita

Midlothian, Virginia
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A must see.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

A world class museum right here in Richmond. Closed for well over a year for renovation and new additions. You will love this place. A must see for Richmond sightseeing. Very good restaurant in house as well.

Visited September 2012
Newport News, Virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wonderful exhibits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My first visit yesterday was prompted by VMFA's current display of beautiful glass works of Chiluly. Upon finishing that, I visited most of the more permanent exhibits, including works in many media, diverse parts of the world, and ranging from ancient Egyptian times to the present. A very nice way to spend the day.

Visited December 2012
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was not prepared for how large the building was on my walk to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. There is a great amount of things to see inside. My favorite part of the day was sitting on the patio and having a drink. The prices (to my surprise) were reasonable and the workers were pleasant while having a sense of humor. It was a relaxing day and I would love to return to see the things that I did not have time to look at. I would like to go during the times that the education center is open.

Visited December 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“Good small art museum. Decorative Arts are the main attraction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is a lovely little art museum which would like to be a big art museum. While the Decorative Arts collection is lovely, the rest of the collections tend to be just a smattering of this and that. It's a bit of a tasting menu of art which is actually just fine for a lovely afternoon.

Visited November 2012