“Well worth the price of membership!”

Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
Book In Advance
More Info
$51.94*
and up
Richmond's City Center Bike Tour
Ranked #1 of 187 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: VMFA Arts is a top comprehensive US art museum with more than 5,000 years of art from around the world. VMFA is open 365 days a year and general admission is always free. The Wall Street Journal recently stated that VMFA is now a "two day museum."
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I originally went to the museum because I knew they had some of the Faberge eggs but when I first stopped in, they were not on display because they were planning a special exhibit called Faberge Revealed. I toured the museum and saw wonderful Egyptian artifacts, Art Deco pieces (fabulous Tiffany works and Stickley pieces) Although the museum is free and parking is only $3, I decided to get an annual membership for $40. This covers entry to special events (normally $15 @), parking and discounts in the gift shops. A couple visits more than make up the cost of membership and I was happy to support this great museum. I went back on a different occasion and totally loved Faberge Revealed! (I had first seen some of the Faberge pieces in Russia in the 70's) Now I get information about their various "visiting" exhibits and events and since Richmond isn't that far from DC, I can go as often as I like. A must see if you're in the area!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,594)
All reviews
in 113 reviews
"special events"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I wide collection and variely of art. Right now the Chihuly exhibit is here, which is outstanding. Get there before Chihuly leaves, if you can.

1  Thank Beth N
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The museum is excellent but the Chihuly exhibit took it over the top. Might never have made the trip but for that event.

1  Thank RSTexas5554
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Also enjoyed the American wing, the French Impressionists and the outdoor sculpture garden. We actually went there 3 times in 3 days! Don't miss the Amuse restaurant - it's first class.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I've enjoyed Chihuly's work elsewhere (eg, the DeYoung in San Francisco), but this exhibit dazzled me. The museum's placement, lighting, and curatorial text served the works themselves rather well, glossing the objects with historical, critical, and artist commentary. The imaginative scope and colour combinations of the works took my breath away.

No less stunning, their south Asian/Indian collection may be the best I've seen in the United States. The breadth of time periods, regions, and media (stone, wood, textiles, paintings, and sculpture) exceeds any other exhibit of Indian art I've seen. The temporary exhibit of silver from the Raj complemented the regular collection quite nicely.

As an art nouveau enthusiast, I was delighted by both the furniture and the paintings on display. In particular, the Scottish designers MacIntosh and MacDonald enjoy good representation here, though I think the French art nouveau furniture struck me as more dramatic (and comfortable).

I would be remiss if I didn't remark on the building itself. Like the Walters in Baltimore, VMFA has welded a brand new building to a magnificent older aedifice. VMFA manages light and space a bit better than the Walters, and the effect is uniformly magical across the property.

1  Thank Peter B

Been to Virginia Museum of Fine Arts? Share your experiences!