“Timing is everything -Food and Surrounding Outstanding but Loud”
Review of Portico Restaurant

Portico Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Portico Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 1,647 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Chef Paolo Randazzo, former owner of Franco's Ristorante and current owner of Sensi, both in Richmond, VA 804-784-4800
Reviewed December 14, 2013

My husband and I met another couple on a Thursday night around 6:30p.m. The quaint house with beautiful lighting and gardens even in November was surprising in what seemed like a neighborhood. We enjoyed drinks while deciding what to order. Our waitress was nice, attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and specials. Our meals came as ordered with special requests. Two of us had the crab cake sandwich which was delicious. The baked spaghetti was beautifully presented and tasted wonderful as was the broiled seafood. As we enjoyed our food we began to notice the noise level rising. By the end of the meal we had to raise our voices to hear each other talk. We decided to finish our desserts quickly and go outside by the fireplace. The night was cold but they had a roaring fire and blankets on the benches to enjoy the night air.
We will go back to this establishment but will go at an odd time to hopefully avoid the the loud surroundings.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We ate appetizers in front of the fireplace which was the perfect spot on a cool November night. The service was excellent we were not rushed and everything was timed perfectly. We enjoyed our drinks and starters and then the main course came. The food was perfect - we had the specials and they were all soooo good.

Portico is a must stop the next time we are in town.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We often dine at Portico for a variety of occasions, or no occasion at all. Last night I invited a friend who is moving away from the Richmond area; she had never been to Portico. As we drove up, she expressed surprise at this wonderful treasure in such a rural location.

Once seated, L declared that she had been existing on fast food for several days since all her belongings were packed for moving, and that she was ready for a "nice meal". She was delighted with the menu and we both decided that all the specials for the night sounded great. We shared the fried oysters which arrived beautifully presented with mixed greens. They were hot, tender and tasty. She then had the broccoli/brie soup with a touch of olive oil. This also came piping hot and she enjoyed it very much.

We selected two different entrees and shared each-- the veal piccata and the duck breast special. The veal came delicately seasoned with capers, lemon and white wine sauce and the meat was tender-- the herbed mashed potatoes and seasoned squash accompanied it well -- it was a heavenly entrée. Her duck came with an amazing sauce and a very tasty mound of risotto and the squash. She was thrilled with her "last supper" in Richmond and we had a truly memorable dinner.

It had been awhile since I enjoyed a full dinner entrée at Portico and, if anything, the quality was better than I recalled. Service was friendly and attentive-- the noise factor inside is the only downfall-- the restaurant filled up about halfway through our meal and the decibels rose--had it been warmer, we would have been out on the fabulous patio. I did take her out to show it to her and the warm friendly fire was blazing. I wonder if the owners could consider fabric baffling at the ceiling, noise reduction ceiling panels or carpeting?

Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife and I had a delightful meal. The butternut squash soup was one of the best we have had. The wedge salad was loaded with bacon and tomatoes. Our penne a la vodka was very tasty but glad we ordered it with extra sauce; otherwise, it was a little dry. Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu. Agree with other reviewers - the restaurant is very noise. It is hard to have a conversation with guests. Do not like that you must use valet parking. I do not like others driving my car.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The penne alla vodka was delicious! The fried calamari was the best I've ever had! Try to get a table outside! The gardens are beautiful and the fireplace is so inviting.

Been to Portico Restaurant? Share your experiences!