“Great dining experience and venu”
Review of Portico Restaurant

Portico Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Portico Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 1,619 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Chef Paolo Randazzo, former owner of Franco's Ristorante and current owner of Sensi, both in Richmond, VA 804-784-4800
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We enjoyed the atmosphere and food at Portico. Attentive waiter as well. Reservations were for 8pm on a Thursday but the valet parkers say its packed on Saturday....Otherwise, why would there be a need for valet in Goochland VA.....When we arrived, it was looking stormy so we opted for inside but will definitely want to go back and experience the patio. Was a bit loud inside but once several larger parties left, was much better. Nice bar area as well. One request would be to put a few beers on tap. Food selections were good but not extensive. Will definitely go back.

There are newer reviews for Portico Restaurant

Reviewed May 13, 2013

After three visits, three different seating locations, and three very different meals/experiences -- I can honestly say this gem just on the Goochland/Henrico line off River Road is excellent. I can see where on a busy night if all systems were not firing things could be less spectacular -- but my experience has been very good. Yesterday's Mother's Day brunch on the patio in the back was as close to a perfect outdoor dining experience as I've had. And the amazing weather certainly helped.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just outside historic Richmond in Good Ole Virginny there used to be a quaint restaurant called the Edible Garden. In Summer it was a very pleasant place to go because it was a little cooler in the country than the town, the pace was a little slower and everything was very fresh. There was also a chef who knew one end of a soup ladle from the other and came up with some interesting creations.
At some time in the last year or so the Edible Garden fell victim to commercial pressure and suddenly the place where the Ladies who Lunch went to do their thing was shuttered and dark. Instead an Italian restaurant opened in the premises, of course, as if we did not have enough of those. However, since to open a restaurant this far away from the city and moreover an Italian restaurant was quite brave, I was persuaded to give it the benefit of the doubt and see if the opportunity of providing fresh food in pastel surroundings in the country could work for Italian as it had done so well for Mediterranean inspired food.
The new owners have kept most of the exterior of the restaurant as it was, but a great deal has been done to the interior. We did not see the kitchen but it looks as though it has been expanded a lot. There are more tables inside where the theme is unobtrusive and modern with good lighting and nicely laid out. The Terrazo for those who like the al fresco part of dining is now cleaned up and well designed for about 15 tables. We chose to sit outside although I am not generally easy to persuade to do so. There is something about enjoying food with a variety of winged insects that does not ring my bell. We were seated next to two other tables under parasols and the waiter disappeared. He came back after about 10 minutes and took orders for drinks. At which point I noticed the tables on either side of us had only drinks on them, no food and people were looking pointedly in the direction of the restaurant.
The waiter returned with menus and bread. The menus were in plastic and had about 5 starters, 6 entrees and inevitably pizza and pasta. I chose the battered squid, mainly because I could hope that if this was a serious restaurant it would be fresh. The blonde chose a BLT with dressing on the side. I also ordered a salad, just green vegetables, a typical misto which any real Italian kitchen will expect to supply for one person. The other tables still had not received their food so I ordered wine from quite a short list and settled in for a wait. There were around 20 other customers but I had a feeling the kitchen was not doing well.
About 30 minutes later our food arrived on the table, by which time the conversation and the bread basket had been recycled a couple of times. The neighbouring tables I was relieved to see had received their orders and seemed to be enjoying themselves. Would that it had been the same for us. The battered squid were as fresh as the day the packet had been opened in the kitchen and the operative had emptied it into the deep fat fryer. Greasy, not quite cold, but just about edible if you like a bit of rubber in your lunch. The BLT for the blonde was covered with a dressing although she had specifically and carefully asked for the dressing on the side. The bread was stale and cold, the bacon looked suspiciously like that bacon they sell which "only needs a second in the microwave". The salad I ordered was huge, it looked as though someone had opened a plastic bag marked "Mixed leaf salad - one portion" and dumped it on the plate.
We gave up after about 10 minutes, thought about coffee, decided no, paid and left. The check came quickly. I don't think this is a bad restaurant but a chef would probably improve it. It may be much better for dinner.

1  Thank Iain W
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

The complimentary valet parking is nice and you can't beat the atmosphere. We made reservations for a Friday night and it was a perfect temperature for a night out on the patio overlooking the well manicured gardens. We ordered the gnocchi and the baked spaghetti. The sauce in the baked spaghetti tasted more like chili than marinara and the gnocchi was nothing special. We will definitely go back and try something different simply because the atmosphere is so nice and relaxing. Definitely still worth a visit!

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Very busy, small and charming. The bartender was very personable, cocktails generous but pricey. The food was very good. Service was also very good. It is the patio and fireplace, however, that put Portico on my "Will Return" list.