“Disappointing!”
Review of Portico Restaurant

Portico Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Portico Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 1,605 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Chef Paolo Randazzo, former owner of Franco's Ristorante and current owner of Sensi, both in Richmond, VA 804-784-4800
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

After hearing great things about this restaurant, we decided to try it for ourselves to celebrate our first anniversary. We expected a romantic and elegant dinner, but were surprised that other patrons were casually dressed and that the restaurant was noisy. The food was only mediocre and was not worth what we paid. And, the bar was unable to make a kir royale which is a quite simple drink that one expects to be able to order almost anywhere. We may go back at some point for a burger as the restaurant is indeed beautiful but I would not recommend it for a special occasion.

Richmond, Virginia
“Favorite”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I entertained out of town guests at Portico. We have nothing but praise for the entrees which were all delicious and well presented. Valet parking is always nice. I have a sweet tooth and always enjoy their desserts with coffee. Great evening.

• Visited December 2012
Charleston, South Carolina
“Nice Experience for First Try”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Portico is located on far west River Road. The first thing I noticed was the very quick valet parking that greets you when you arrive. Parking is no charge. They seated us immediately for our 7:30 pm reservation for 6 even thought the restaurant was very busy.

We had starters at a couple's home before dining so we all ordered entrees. One of our diners ordered the Branzini fish special and said it was very good. My wife had the stuffed shrimp and enjoyed them very much. Several others had the pasta dishes and since nothing was left, they certainly liked those as well. I had the seafood mixture in a light broth that was good, but needed more seafood. My only knock for the evening. For dessert, I had the rum raisin gelato and it was great...rich and creamy! Several folks had the desert where they take dark chocolate gelato and roll it into a ball and cover it in powdered chocolate...I can't remember what the are called....but everyone said it was wonderful! Give it a try!

• Visited November 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“I was wrong!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Previously, in April of this year, I wrote a review that didn't reflect favorably on the Portico. Since then I have returned (twice) to the Portico for two very enjoyable meals. And I will be returning. Despite my initial review the lure of the ambiance called me back. These visits included two excellent and creative meals. And even some great deserts. Served by the outdoor fireplace it was a most rewarding evening.

Glen Allen, Virginia
“One of our new favorites!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our second visit to this restaurant and both times have been fantastic. We sat outside for both visits, so don't know what the ambience is like in there, but outside is fabulous. Great fireplace, excellent service and fantastic food. We went as a couple on a date night out and as a family with children. It was accommodating for both a romantic night out or for our young children as a family dinner out. Valet parking is a nice feature also, but may catch you by surprise if you did not expect it. Finally, you should plan ahead and make reservations. It's not a huge place and gets pretty busy.

• Visited September 2012

Been to Portico Restaurant? Share your experiences!