“Awesome race!”

Richmond International Raceway
Ranked #21 of 180 things to do in Richmond
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Loved the track! Hated the drunks in the stands. Almost had fights, smoking, throwing beer cans. Not very family friendly.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I have been to many, many races here at RIR as this is my home track. I watched Richard Petty climb on the dozer and start tearing up the old half mile track. Luckily, along the way they figured out that race 2 was a bad idea in Richmond. Now we have night race which are the very best. Of course I love the place and now that I don't have to park in a horse stable, better yet. My issue has nothing to do with the racing because as we locals know, it is the best. Nope, my deal is with the infrastructure outside the course. At the last race, we drove in and my friend is handicapped but is too proud to get a permit. The parking people refused our bribe and let us drive closer to the tram.

Now all is well as we get out chairs, charcoal, beer, grill, etc and prepare to tailgate for a few hours before the race. For those of you familiar with tailgating at a NASCAR race, there are certain things that you need to do after awhile. So I looked around the huge parking lot with maybe 1000 cars and see 5 (yes that is FIVE) port-a-potties in the entire lot. I will leave it to your imagination or ingenuity to speculate on how people dealt with that part. To add insult to injury, just prior to the time when people would head to the circuit, the honey dipper boys came and scooped the 5 units leaving none. I'm sure it was a long, long tram ride for many.

My friend loved the escalators to the mezzanine. He said there was no way he could walk up and after the team walk, well I believed him. My extreme compliments to RIR. As usual we had a great time. Nothing like the Sweet Virginia Breeze blowing over you at RIR.

Meanwhile racing was great, I sucked on my pool and that is that.

vbdenny
Virginia Beach

1  Thank vbdenny
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I love this place! I have been to over 25 races at 11 different venues and this is my HOME track. RIR goes out of its way to make the race week experience the best. It is fan focused and they go the extra mile. The access to the track this last weekend was a great idea and worked out great. They announced they would do it again in the fall AFTER the race. How cool is that. The racing, despite the tires Goodyear keeps selling, is always top notch, the finish this April was breathtaking. Most seats let you see the entire track. can't say enough. If you go to ONE race, go here. I still like Talledega a lot, but that is more because of the crowd and it is JR NATION HQ.

2  Thank MJonesPE
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Of the many NASCAR race tracks we have been to this is one of the better and one of top five for putting on a great race. The food has much to be desired but parking and camping is pretty good. Entry and Exit seemed to go well and a pretty good midway area. The security is tight and only the best might possibly slip through into a restricted area. The pre race show was pretty good. I would warn you that the Pre Race Pit pass only allows you to get to the pit row and not into the Cold Garage area like most tracks. If you are there on Sprint cup race day don't expect to get to see a driver with that pass unless you hang right in front of the tent used for the drivers meeting. You may be lucky enough to get an autograph their although they will be VERY limited. For the ticket price I don't see how you can beat this place. Motels are reasonable in a fairly close radius and so much history to complement the racing that I would suggest staying an extra day or two in town.

2  Thank SDeuker
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This race track is awesome. The seating and views from all seats are great. Go there twice a year for the spring and fall Nascar races. Really enjoy this short track.

1  Thank Iralgo

Been to Richmond International Raceway? Share your experiences!