“economical business stay satisfaction”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #73 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Clifton, Virginia
“economical business stay satisfaction”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

This is a frequent accommodation location for my business travel. After more than a dozen overnights, I recognize the strengths of this hotel: The staff is friendly and professional; the rooms are quiet and clean and it's a great value for corporate accounts. Is the Westin newer? Yes. Nicer? Probably. Would it cost me more? Absolutely. My Crowne experience is always satisfying: I arrive, they smile and greet me by name, they get me checked in, give me my goodie bag and ask if they can do anything else for me. I've never, ever, had any issues. Thank you Crowne Plaza for exceeding my expectations.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Northern Virginia
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Got this hotel on Priceline and after reading the reviews here I was a little worried, but it turned out to be fine. We stayed on the 7th floor of the tower section which has its own entrance, so no long corridors for us. The hotel is between a large shopping center and some corporate campuses, certainly not a bad area. Our room was clean, warm, and had plenty of hot water--not the Ritz, but it met all of my priorities. And it was exceptionally quiet (maybe everyone else was scared away by the reviews). I would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1RichmondReview196, Director of Sales at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your thoughts and experience with the Crowne Plaza Richmond West. We were very pleased to hear of your positive experience which we strive at all times to provide. With 282 clean, comfortable and well maintained overnight accommodations and over 10,000 square feet of convention space, we have a large hotel with two entrances to accommodate all of our business and leisure travelers to Richmond, Virginia. Our corridors separate our overnight accommodations away from the convention space to ensure our guests receive a good night's rest while still being able to provide the five star complete service to our meeting and convention attendees. Your "exceptionally quiet" stay is what we want all of our guests to experience so they are well rested to meet the next day's activities. We host many of the large corporations within 3 blocks of our hotel such as Phillip Morris, Genworth, Reynolds and Southern States. Their presence along with many more small and local businesses, restaurants and entertainment attactions, such as the AMF Sunset Bowling Center across the street, contribute to the outstanding area here in the westend of Richmond and Henrico County. The Crowne Plaza Richmond West is proud to be part of such an exceptional community. On behalf of all of us here at the Crowne Plaza Richmond West, we thank you for valued business and look forward to hosting you again very soon.
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed January 2, 2011

The location appeared to be a bit shady .Not at all impressed by this hotel. Too dark and the location is not great.
If you are a frequent traveller , you will never like this hotel. Unless you are trying to accumulate points. There are other hotels that are much better in the area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Trvlr_freq

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I think that I would have had a pretty good stay, if it hadn't been for finding a fully grown adult bed bug in my room. The rooms were nice, modern etc. The place itself seemed bustling and lively. Then I found the bed bug, crawling onto the lamp on the bedside table.

I went down and told the guy at the desk and he immediately moved us to another room and we didn't have to pay for that night's stay. He didn't seem to be that surprised that it had happened. He had our luggage heat-treated and provided bags so that we wouldn't contaminate the car on the journey home, but it didn't make for a good night's sleep and I had a huge job when we got home to make sure that we hadn't brought bed bugs back with us. Basically, the staff did the best they could for us, but it really put a downer on our stay.

The breakfast was good and again the service was excellent in the restaurant. The pool looked like it needed a good clean, but the hot tub was fine. There was a gym too, which was good. Not the best location, but there were some interesting restaurants nearby.

I get the impression that the hotel needs a bit more investment, so that the staff actually have a place of employment that matches the high standards of service they provide.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank zoebrigley
1RichmondReview196, Director of Sales at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Dear valued guest,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your comments regarding our outstanding service. We pride ourselves on maintaining the highest level of commitment to the service of all our guests. This includes our very serious approach to preventative maintenance and pest control.

As has been widely publicized in national news and printed media sources, bed bugs have become a re-emerging problematic issue with the ease of global travel and the resistance to insecticides. A hotel can be completely free of these pests one day and have a localized issue the next as they are moved by travelers undetected in their luggage or on their person from one location to another.

We take this issue very seriously. I was pleased to read our excellent front desk associate took immediate and correct actions to follow our strict protocol. His lack of surprise to your report was not due to regular occurrence or previous experience with this issue. It is a testament to our consistent training regimen with regards to all protocols. We heat treat items in our industrial strength dryer for you as heat immediately eradicates bed bugs entirely, which he did. Our nationally renowned pest control company is called out to inspect not only the room in question but all rooms in that grid to determine if we indeed have a problem. If confirmed, the entire room would be heat treated since they are sensitive to heat and are rapidly eradicated when exposed to heat above 45 degrees Celsius.

We contacted our pest control company who came and performed a detailed inspection of the room in question as well as those in the grid I previously mentioned. I am pleased to say no additional evidence of bed bugs was found, and we did choose to heat treat the room as a precautionary measure. Although bed bugs are a traveler's pest and not a cleanliness issue, we do not tolerate the problem.

We are pleased once more to hear of your excellent breakfast experience in our beautiful full service onsite restaurant. Our Executive Chef and staff work with pride to ensure each guest receives a delicious meal with outstanding service whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We have also taken seriously your concerns on our indoor heated pool and have completed an additional maintenance series to ensure any concern over cleanliness has been addressed. We recognize the importance of our 24 hour exercise room, heated whirlpool and pool as a valuable amenity and a source of relaxation and enjoyment for our guests.

Our location is within walking distance of many large corporations such as Phillip Morris, Reynolds, Genworth and others. We are also directly across from a well maintained and well know bowling alley, which provides traveling families an additional source of nearby fun, safe and active entertainment. As you mentioned, there are many interesting restaurants nearby as well as our very own.

Once again I would like to thank you sincerely for your wonderful comments regarding our exceptional service and staff. We regret that you found your stay to be anything short of stellar. We pride ourselves on delivering an unparalleled level of service at an unsurpassed value. I sincerely hope the additional information provided in this response as well as the fact you found no bed bugs upon your return home a reassurance of our strong commitment to our preventative measures with this and all issues impacting the positive stay of our valued guests.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 8, 2010

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at this hotel. Room was clean. Check in was pleasant and quick. Recieved breakfast room service on time and was warm. Check out not so good. The lady who gave us our reciept looked overwhelmed. The charge was incorrect because we weren't charged for 2 nights, only 1 night. She also gave us a reciept for a $55.00 debit card deposit. My husband asked what it was for and she said standard practice for Debit cards for incedentials. We checked out on November 14th and after several calls and even a call from my bank the $55.37 charge has not been refunded back to my account. Apparently they figured out a week ago after some research by the manager, someone else's room was charged to my card. It is now December 8th and still not refund. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Spartanburg
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I was visiting a client nearby and this was a preferred hotel by my company. Usually my company is picky with accommodations but this hotel is not up to par. It is desperately in need of an upgrade. The #1 hotel in Richmond (at the time of this review) is one block away.. the Westin West. My bedroom was ok but the bathroom was on par with a Motel6. The hotel is delapidated, elevators are slow and loud and the loooong halls have a creepy feel ala 'the shining'. I failed to mention that the hotel is about 300 yards long with additional parking that goes for another 3 football fields. The free "high speed" internet is capped at about 60kbps (just beyond dial-up speeds). It was convenient for work but if on my own budget I would stay at the Courtyard or Westin about a block in either direction.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jsmonkey
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my husband and young daughter over night. This was not a very nice part of town. The hotel was not worth staying in. Every piece of linen was highly wrinkled like it was thrown into a heap and never folded. The room had a small 2 cup coffee maker that had 2 to go cups with only 1 lid, and only 2 decaffeinated coffee pods. There was also only a bottle of complimentary conditioner with no shampoo. These are small issues, but I believe that for the price, these issues should not have been present. They are easy fixes that could be easily avoided. Room service was very pricey and not impressive.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family